PDA

View Full Version : HDD badsector

siavoshkc
30th August 2006, 07:32 PM
Fedora Core 5
I know my HDD has about 4KB (reported by MS-chkdsk) of bad blocks. How can Fedora mark bad blocks before installation? So it won't copy itself on them.

I installed it very hardly. First with its default partitioning, it installed but grub didn't load it. I made my own partitions, a /(root) and a swap. It installed and run, but add/remove can't retrive information and doesn't work. It is my first use of Linux and I know nothing about it.

I don't know if the problems is because of bad blocks or not. But it put me into trouble. I reinstalled it for 6 times. It is 5 CDs and takes 2 hours for each installation.

Jman
2nd September 2006, 03:45 AM
Possibly the parition tool in the installer does bit of a block check before formatting. You can run the badblocks command to do such a check.

Some drives are also smart enough to detect and not use bad blocks.

Add/Remove Programs not working could also be network problems, because it has to connect to the Internet to get software information.

siavoshkc
2nd September 2006, 10:37 PM
Add/Remove Programs not working could also be network problems, because it has to connect to the Internet to get software information.

Connect to internet to get my own software information? What if I don't have internet?

Jman
4th September 2006, 02:37 AM
It checks for updates online. Unfortunately this makes it difficult to use if you are not connected.

I think you can still use it, try it.