PDA

View Full Version : please help

phear8me
30th August 2006, 06:34 AM
hiya

well i have just gone frmo windows to fedora 5

so i am totally new and hope i can get help and not sure if im doing this in the right section

first system specs

865pe neo2-p motherboard
p4 3.2gig
1gig ram
256 meg video card (radeon)
dual layer burner (i think samsung)
19 inch standard monitor (not lcd)
standard ps2 mouse and keyboard

well i have installed fedora 5
with everything that was available in the options (did a custom install)
had to install over the network as it doesnt seem to find my cdrom drive

main problems im having are
graphics seem really slow for example any screen saver i choose is really stuttering
and i am unable to get any cds to work ive been told i have to mount them but i do not know how

also i did the whole update thing and i dont think anything has worked am i supposed to install them after its updated?

i have got email and internet working
have tried installing a game or 2 that says it can work for linux but cant seem to install it i have the .rpm files i think which to me just seems like a .zip file

any help very greatfully appreciated

thanks for looking

Seve
30th August 2006, 06:52 AM
Hello:
I suggest having a look through this guide to set things up first, then go from there: http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

Seve

phear8me
30th August 2006, 06:53 AM
thanks for that seve

will look there in a second

benbenbin
30th August 2006, 07:15 AM
go through linux,you have to forget the windows.....

don't use you thinking-way in windows to think about the things happen in linux !!!

and I have gone from windows to linux too!
cheer,let's play up!!!

oshuaa
30th August 2006, 07:53 AM
D00ds google.com/linux is your friends... Read Read Read... and you will learn and become a Linux user!

phear8me
31st August 2006, 05:22 AM
well ive tried so many times and did exactly what it says to write in the terminal window but nothing changes and half the time
it doesnt do what it says it should do

as it is i set up my email yesterday and now it wont even open the email program

grrr

too hard about to give up and go back to windows even though it stuffs up more i can format hdd and start again where as this i cant even get to run properly in the first place

Seve
31st August 2006, 05:27 AM
well ive tried so many times and did exactly what it says to write in the terminal window but nothing changes and half the time
it doesnt do what it says it should do

as it is i set up my email yesterday and now it wont even open the email program

grrr

too hard about to give up and go back to windows even though it stuffs up more i can format hdd and start again where as this i cant even get to run properly in the first place
Hello:
Most likely you are not familiar with all of the terminology.
Have a read through here :
http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/
and
http://www.fedorafaq.org/

Fedora is no different than other OS, as it does take some time to get familiar with. Remember, you just started. :)

Seve

rappermas
1st September 2006, 05:14 AM
hiya

well i have just gone frmo windows to fedora 5

so i am totally new and hope i can get help and not sure if im doing this in the right section

first system specs

865pe neo2-p motherboard
p4 3.2gig
1gig ram
256 meg video card (radeon)
dual layer burner (i think samsung)
19 inch standard monitor (not lcd)
standard ps2 mouse and keyboard

well i have installed fedora 5
with everything that was available in the options (did a custom install)
had to install over the network as it doesnt seem to find my cdrom drive

main problems im having are
graphics seem really slow for example any screen saver i choose is really stuttering
and i am unable to get any cds to work ive been told i have to mount them but i do not know how

also i did the whole update thing and i dont think anything has worked am i supposed to install them after its updated?

i have got email and internet working
have tried installing a game or 2 that says it can work for linux but cant seem to install it i have the .rpm files i think which to me just seems like a .zip file

any help very greatfully appreciated

thanks for looking
You will need to install ATI drivers to get video working. Even though it is suggested to not do so, go ahead and use the proprietary tarballs that ATI provides.

Just hang in there. Things are different in Linux and they work differently (and for a good reason). RPM files are ready-to-install binary packages, much easier to work with than even windows executables except the fact that sometimes they have dependencies on other packages. ZIP files in Fedora are usually .tar.gz or .tar.bz2.

Hang in there.