PDA

View Full Version : need help blank screen after udev

midpipps
30th August 2006, 04:35 AM
I have a solo 1450 gateway laptop and recentally did a dual boot system install windows is working normally but fedora core 5 does not seem to want to I am relatively new to linux very new to fedora core and was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before

I see normal everything during boot up seems to be operating normally get past where it says press I for interactive startup and then it gos to starting udev and after that the screen goes blank the hard drives and everything seem to still be going and it seems like something is happening but nothing ever appears.

Please help is this a problem with this laptop just not being able to handle fedora core or is this some type of thing that can be easily fixed and I am just to noobish to figure it out. please be specific in instructions? :(

midpipps
30th August 2006, 05:10 AM
Anyone I need help

Seve
30th August 2006, 05:22 AM
Hello:
Try booting with acpi=off
and see if that helps

Seve

midpipps
30th August 2006, 05:26 AM
how do you change boot options

Seve
30th August 2006, 05:50 AM
Hello:
You can add the acpi=off to end of the kernel line in your grub.conf
When grub shows up, hit enter and then type e to edit and add acpi=off
then type b to boot and you should be good to go.

Seve

midpipps
30th August 2006, 06:07 AM
Thank you very much I am sorry I have an ubuntu system at home but I do not use grub on it so I just change the boot configs when needed it worked like a charm everything seems to be working ok except my wireless but I am sure just a little dinking arounf and some good forum searches and I will have that up too. This may just become my new favorite linux sight .

Seve
30th August 2006, 06:13 AM
Thank you very much I am sorry I have an ubuntu system at home but I do not use grub on it so I just change the boot configs when needed it worked like a charm everything seems to be working ok except my wireless but I am sure just a little dinking arounf and some good forum searches and I will have that up too. This may just become my new favorite linux sight .
Hello:
Good stuff :)
There are some excellent how-to's regarding wireless configs in the How-To_Articles Section
that will hopefully help you.
Enjoy FC

Seve

mlager
30th August 2006, 10:59 PM
I have the same problem and adding the 'acpi=off' does make it boot to the GUI. However, it does seem to screw up my graphics. When browsing down a list or in firefox, the display doesn't respond. When starting up the GUI the screen goes weird a couple of times (colours etc.), is there something I can do to fix that?
And what exactly does the line 'acpi=off' do?
I'd like to have some insight in what things do when I apply them, else I won't learn a thing except for their results.
If someone has some ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Oh, and btw, I did install the correct drivers.

Seve
30th August 2006, 11:10 PM
And what exactly does the line 'acpi=off' do?

Hello:
In basic turns it turns off the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. You can read what exactly that is here if you like: http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid1_gci213657,00.html

Have you updated your system to a newer or more recent kernel?

Seve

mlager
30th August 2006, 11:58 PM
Have you updated your system to a newer or more recent kernel?

Yeah, I did that earlier today.
I installed FC5 2.6.15.something from the DVD and upgraded it with 'yum update' to kernel 2.6.17.1 along with a whole bunch of other updates for the installed software. I used Livna to get the latest drivers for my graphics card.

Changed the xorg.conf to match the new drivers, it was set on 'vesa' before to prevent the system from freezing. After rebooting I got into the same situation as the topic starter.
Did what you said and booted with 'acpi=off'. It did the trick, well more or less, and booted with the ATI drivers.

But during the boot sequence I see all kind of coloured blocks which are probably very interesting when tripping, but when trying to get a system running smoothly.
Anyways, while in the Gnome GUI the display seems highly unstable. When opening a new window it's transparant apart from the frame. Scrolling in menu's and in Firefox have become impossible. And all the internet menu in the upperleft pull-down menu is inaccessible, that's under the application menu I think (I'm running it in dutch).

Even for me it's obvious it has something to do with the graphics card or the drivers. Unfortunately I'm not really a linux wizard at the momentm, so I'm not quite sure where the problem lies and what the best remedy is in this case.