PDA

View Full Version : Terminal only question

ShizlacTheGreat
29th August 2006, 04:33 PM
Hi.
I have an old computer, and the more comfortable I have become with bash, I have done away with x.
Now, with Madriva, in terminal mode (run level 3?), it had a 'look and feel' to it.. color coded output, switching between tty1-6 with the window key, scrolling (without directing output!), and a lot of bells and wistles. It was sweet! For example,while scrolling thru a site in lynx, I could hit the window button, and log in for a new session as any user, and scroll thru sessions (and a system messages screen) without interrupting what I was doing.
With Fedora, I have the plain 'ol terminal, black and white screen.
(alt+f4 gives a new prompt, dont know if its a seperate session, doesnt work if im in something like vim or lynx)
Is there a list of packages I should install? Did I miss something?
I would appreciate any tips. I'm a Fedora man, but Mandriva set all this up default when I installed without x.

(FC5 on p2@350mhz w/384mg ram)

brunson
29th August 2006, 04:48 PM
Anything Mandriva can do, Fedora will be able to do, you just need to figure out how. :-)

For colored output of ls alias "ls" to "ls --color", my vim automatically uses syntax coloring.

I'm not sure what the "window key" is, but Alt-F1 through Alt-F6 should take you to tty's 1-6. Alt-Left and Alt-Right arrow keys will scroll you through the ttys. I don't know why the Alt-Fn don't work in vim or lynx, maybe they are doing something to the terminal, but it works for me in vim on a pretty vanilla FC5 install.

If you have access to a Mandriva box, check out their /etc/*bash* and /etc/*profile* files to see what's in them to give you the magic colors. If your prompt is colored, it'll probably be in your bash settings.

markjensen
29th August 2006, 05:01 PM
^^^ Isn't a colored or otherwise customized prompt in the PS1 environment variable? If that is needing to be set, you can add it in one of your user's startup scripts.

ShizlacTheGreat
6th September 2006, 04:27 PM
I've answered most of that, what I still havent figured out is toggling a system message output screen. Think it was a mandriva feature.

brunson
6th September 2006, 04:57 PM
It's probably controlled via /etc/syslog.conf. Perhaps using a destination of /dev/ttySsomething rather than /dev/console.

P.S.
Let us know what you found about the other things, too. :-)

ShizlacTheGreat
6th September 2006, 06:16 PM
I found a few articles wich filled in some gaps in my fundamentals one here-
http://www.bellevuelinux.org/console.html
output of messages- syslog.conf, I'm going to screw around and see if I can get the ones I want both logged to file and output to say, tty3 without self-injury.