PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Update/Installation

mlager
28th August 2006, 04:48 PM
For some time now I've been trying to update my kernel, 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5, to the newer 2.6.17.11 in the good hope it would solve some of my earlier problems. Needless to say, it's not going very well. :rolleyes: Anyways, I followed the instruction provided with the tarball I got from kernel.org, and guess what? It didn't work. Downloaded several other 'How to's' from various other sources, but I have yet to succeed.
I know I'm a newbie here, so I'm probably missing the obvious or doing something very stupid.

I got so far:
- downloaded the tar.bz2 with the source from kernel.org
- downloaded the patch-file that was on the site as well
- unpacked both succesfully in my home directory

When applying the patch, it says:
patching file MAINTAINTERS
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

Don't really what that means, but the turorial says I want to break out of the patch if something different happens from what it states in the tutorial. Which I guess this qualifies, so I pressed 'ctrl c'

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if I need to run the patch?

Okay, the next step, this tutorial says, and not entirely to my surprise, so do half a dozen others, is to configure the 2.6.x kernel. After having to run '$ make mrproper'.

When I do that, it says:

make: gcc: Command not found

When I type 'make -mrproper' it says:

A whole bunch of things ending with, #ready with Make database on Tue Aug etc..

When I repeat the 'make mrproper', it now says:

CLEAN include/asm include linux/version.h .kernelrelease

So far so good, or not if I'm screwing up.

Right, the configuring part. Don't have much to say about that. It doesn't do very much.
Whatever 'make XXXconfig' command I try, it always results in the same message:

HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 127
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

And this is about how far I get. I've been at it for days and it's getting kinda tiresome. I've considered jumping out of the window, screaming, but decided I'll try the forum first. If someone can help me and give me some insides, please!!!

Don't know if relevant, but here are my computer specs.

AMD64 X2 3800+ cpu
Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 motherboard
ATI x850pro, agp 8x graphics card
1 GB Kingston DDR400 memory, single module
Sweex wireless networkcard with Broadcom BCM4306 chipset (Not working, no drivers.)
Excelstore 40GB IDE HDD (hda)
Maxtor 160 GB IDE HDD (hdb)
Maxtor 320 GB SATA (hbc)
Samsung 400 GB SATA (hdd)

Fedora is installed on the 'hdb' drive.
Onboard audio.

brunson
28th August 2006, 05:31 PM
I got so far:
- downloaded the tar.bz2 with the source from kernel.org
- downloaded the patch-file that was on the site as well
- unpacked both succesfully in my home directory

What patch file? If you are trying to install a file called "patch-2.6.17.11" to "kernel-2.6.17.11", then you're doing it wrong. The patch is to bring an earlier source tree version up to a specific patch level, you don't need both.

When I do that, it says:

yum install gcc

Fedora kernels have a ton of additional patches applied to them, sometimes as many as 100, seldom fewer than 30. If you're interested in compiling a kernel for educational purposes, by all means, go at it. If you're only trying to get the latest to fix some problem, the questions you're asking speak to your familiarity with building any source code under linux, much less the kernel, you may be in for a lot of frustration which could be avoided with a little patience until the next Fedora kernel rpm release.