PDA

View Full Version : Installing windows?

jimmmm
26th August 2006, 09:19 PM
I've had Fedore 5 up and running and love it. Now I'd like to install windows and have followed the guide in the installation notes under heading 'NTFS support' How do I proceed as far as utilizing the new partion and installing windows?

LinuxManMikeC
26th August 2006, 09:44 PM
Installing Windows after any Linux distro is going to be a pain because of how Windows installs (likes to take everything over). You will probably need to reinstall the bootloader for Linux after you install Windows, and you may need to do some contortions in grub to make the Windows install disc to work and behave itself. I haven't tried any of this myself, so I couldn't just give you a list of easy steps, but I know it can be done.

You may want to look into Qemu+KQemu or one of the free VMware products and run Windows in a virtual machine in Linux. Then you won't have to worry about rebooting to use Windows or any of the install problems and making them play nicely. If you really love FC5 then you will probably end up using it the most. This way you can have your cake and smack M$ around too. Depending on what you want to do with Windows, the virtualization may prove a little funky to set up some things, but overall it should be easy.

Edit:
Correction, I have done the bootloader reinstall after Windows (relatively easy, but annoying), but I haven't needed to do the voodoo to make the Windows installer behave itself. It all depends on your current setup and what version of Windows you're using.

Legomax
26th August 2006, 10:09 PM
i usually hear that its best to install windows then fedora, cuz fedora wont destroy everything that exists on Earth if you tell it not to...