PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 5 Server/Desktop

unrealconcept
25th August 2006, 01:41 AM
Hi i am wondering, i want linux as my desktop and my server on the same system, and need to know if this will be a problem?

thanks

And if not then is there one that has that you can do server and desktop?

pparks1
25th August 2006, 02:15 AM
Yes, you can easily run a server as a desktop. It's just a matter of installing the server apps that you need and the desktop environment that you use.

unrealconcept
25th August 2006, 02:19 AM
Ok great, see i was told that you cant, now is there a way i can get what apps i would need to get the server good for streaming media and hosting and email and webserver. i have been an I.T for 5 yrs but never worked with linux so i love linux though i want to switch over i will eventually just have it as server and install linux on my laptop for desktop

pparks1
25th August 2006, 02:31 AM
There is no cut and dry answer to this. If you are new to LInux, you have a fair amount to learn, but you have found a great resource in this website.

You might want to check out a Linux book and read through it. Something like Linux for Dummies (no offense...they are pretty good), or Fedora Core Bible (pretty good book).

unrealconcept
25th August 2006, 02:33 AM
Non taking, i will check those both out, thanks alot.

unrealconcept
25th August 2006, 02:33 AM
Where can i get the fedora core bible by the way?

PilotJLR
25th August 2006, 02:41 AM
Amazon and nerdbooks.com are both reliable, cheap sources for these.

Just an idea - you might want to consider putting your servers inside a VMware virtual machine. That's what I do... I update my desktop every 6 months along with the Fedora schedule, but I want to keep my servers stable and consistent. So I run my webserver, email server, etc in a CentOS virtual machine. I can even burn the virtual machine to a DVD - in case I hose my system, I can easily put the VM back into service.

unrealconcept
25th August 2006, 02:42 AM
Whats that and where i do i get that?

PilotJLR
26th August 2006, 02:08 AM
VMware?
http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

And google is www.google.com :-)