PDA

View Full Version : fedora core 5/xp dual boot (2 hard drives)

slade17
20th August 2006, 09:05 PM
i just posted this on the ubuntu forums, and was told to come here (even though its probably not an OS specific issue, but whatever)

A while ago i used ubuntu, but switched back to windows XP when i got a new computer and windows came preinstalled. i recently decided i wanted to get back into the linux world (particularly after dealing with window's indian tech support to address the fact that it keeps saying my copy of windows is not genuine, even though it came preinstalled). anyway, i tried a few different boot discs and finally installed a copy of fedora core 5. i have 2 200GB SATA hard drives on my computer, so i unhooked the windows hard drive and installed fedora. i was planning to just play around with it and maybe install a dual boot later, since ive always had one or two problems with linux. but fedora is running fine so i decided to heck with it, ill make it a dual boot now.

the problem is ive already installed fedora (and grub) so after i hooked up the windows hard drive, grub didnt list windows xp. i expected this and had planned to just reinstall fedora and set up grub to recognize windows, but since it recognizes that fedora is already installed the installation doesnt go through.

so, my question is, do i have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall fedora, or is there an easier way to just reconfigure grub?

also, i have a few other questions relating to fedora:

i think i recall hearing that fedora core 5 comes with both gnome and KDE, but it always boots in gnome. i tend to like gnome better regardless, but just in case i decide to play around with KDE, how do i switch to KDE?

once i do get a dual boot set up, is there a way that i can keep things like firefox bookmarks or trillian/GAIM logs as a single file that each OS uses?

whats the best/easiest way to get MP3 support?

thanks,
slade

dickinsd
20th August 2006, 09:21 PM
This post on another site may give you some more information as to how to set your grub up correctly.
Repair Grub (http://www.linuxjourney.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=106&forum=8)

I think the easiest way to share files with 2 different OSs' is to set a partition that both can read and write to, example FAT32 - keep things like your bookmarks in this partition and then point each application to the required file.

I'm not sure about KDE, can't stand it so don't use it, however if memory serves (and I am currently on a Windows machine I'm afraid) there is something to click on the login screen, perhaps options or settings, this will include any windows managers you have installed, you select the one you want and log in as usual, this time you see the KDE or whatever windows manager.

However you may need to install KDE as I think the default FC installation does not include KDE.

I've not used FC5 yet (currently installing after several dusty months on the book case) however with previous versions of FC you need to download a 'patch' to enable MP3 support.

I seem to recall the MP3 question being a fairly regular question on the forums so a little search should help you find what you need for whatever your music application of choice might be.

Dave

slade17
20th August 2006, 09:41 PM
This post on another site may give you some more information as to how to set your grub up correctly.
Repair Grub (http://www.linuxjourney.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=106&forum=8)
thanks, ill try that. it looks like i have to install grub over the master boot record that windows uses?

that brings up another question, though. my motherboard has 4 SATA ports, and based on what ive seen so far im guessing the bottom left port is the first port and the top left is the second. when the XP hard drive was attached to the bottom left port it booted in windows, when the fedora HDD was attached to the bottom left port it booted with grub into fedora. does that mean that i have to attach the XP HDD to the bottom left port when i boot, so i can properly install grub on the windows hard drive?

I think the easiest way to share files with 2 different OSs' is to set a partition that both can read and write to, example FAT32 - keep things like your bookmarks in this partition and then point each application to the required file.
could i just save everything to the linux hard drive, since its a FAT32 partition? the windows hard drive is NSFT.

I've not used FC5 yet (currently installing after several dusty months on the book case) however with previous versions of FC you need to download a 'patch' to enable MP3 support.

I seem to recall the MP3 question being a fairly regular question on the forums so a little search should help you find what you need for whatever your music application of choice might be.
i did a quick search and couldnt find anything on the first page it returned... maybe ill try a more thorough search.

hmm, and i just tried printing that page out, and found out that my printer isnt configured yet. now if i can just remember how i got it set up with ubuntu...

*edit* well i got the printer working. but now i have another question. im somewhat farmiliar with the linux file system, but not entirely. what will both of the hard drives be called, and will anything change when i switch the physical port the hard drive is attached to? and how do i mount the NTFS hard drive in linux right now?

slade17
20th August 2006, 11:34 PM
i looked through that walkthrough you sent me and im a bit hesitant about it since i dont really know what im doing. i dont want to mess up my windows partition, and i dont fully understand what its doing. especially when it says (hd0,0) or (hd0,2) how do i know which one is which drive, and which one i want to select?

i tried putting the install DVD in again and selecting upgrade. it seemed to be going fine and on the page for installing grub 2 things showed up, fedora and a drive labled "other", so i assumed "other" was windows XP. It asked where i wanted to install grub and i clicked on the option for the master boot record. when i tried to go through with the upgrade though a warning window popped up and it said something like "no kernel packages were installed on your system. your boot loader configuration will remain the same". and the installation ended.

this was with the windows hard drive attached to the bottom left SATA port (meaning without the install disc it would have booted into windows) should i try it again with the hard drives switched? should i try installing it again but select overwrite instead of upgrade? or is there something else i should try?

if i were to try uninstalling fedora and doing a clean install again, how would i reformat the hard drive? windows will only format it as an NTFS drive. i think i *might* have a CD to format a hard drive somewhere, but im not sure. also if i did that, would i have the windows hard drive or the blank hard drive attached to the first SATA port? i want to make sure i dont do something stupid like overwrite my windows drive.

Seve
20th August 2006, 11:47 PM
Hello:
Can you boot from the FC5 install disc ..select F5 ..type linux resuce and follow along with the on-screen instructions until you get to the last prompt
then type
chroot /mnt/sysimage
then type
fdisk -l
and post the output

Seve

slade17
21st August 2006, 02:24 AM
Hello:
Can you boot from the FC5 install disc ..select F5 ..type linux resuce and follow along with the on-screen instructions until you get to the last prompt
then type
chroot /mnt/sysimage
then type
fdisk -l
and post the output

Seve
how would i post the output? since i would have to reboot the computer to get to the OS, i dont think copy/paste would work too well...

ill try that after work tomorrow.

slade17
25th August 2006, 12:43 AM
i'll update the thread in case someone else has a similar problem.

i reinstalled fedora and this time it listed windows, but wouldnt boot. i did a bit of reading from a few links and found what the issue was, when anaconda created the grub.conf file in /etc, the entry for windows was:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1

i had to change the config file to read:

title Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1
makeactive
boot

also, i figured out the MP3 issue, it was fairly easy, i just followed the walkthrough on www.fedorafaq.org. KDE was listed as an option under Applications>Add/Remove Software, which essentially just runs yum through the GUI instead of the terminal.

now i have a few other questions. first of all, my grub.conf file currently has 2 entries in it for fedora:

title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb$ initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 r$ initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img
the difference between the two appears to be the version number and the smp at the end. im not sure how this happened, but which one do i want, so i can delete the other?

also, how do i mount a hard drive? i installed the driver to read NTFS partitions, but i completely forgot everything i learned about mounting media since i used ubuntu. the hard drive is the second hard drive on the system, second partition, it should be a fairly easy thing to do...