PDA

View Full Version : transfer root settings to another regular user

duni
19th August 2006, 10:25 AM
Hi!
I was unable to find something like this in google or in the forum, so I decidet to ask :). Sorry if there is allready such thread.
So here is the question:
After couple of mounts exploring fedora core 4 as root (I was previously with an old redhat), I decided to create a regular user account and to use root only in special cases (just as it should be).
But how can I transfer all the settings I've allready made, I mean the customized KDE with all the programs I've customized such as Amarok, OpenOffice and so on... I tried to use copy paste to the new user directory, but as I tought, it doesn't work. there are critical errors at the start of the xsession, which is actually normal.
So is there another way of transfering the settings, or I have just to start it all over again?

Thank You for Your answers!

P.S: I found this: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63385&highlight=transfer+account , but it doesn't help much as root, or I'm doing something wrong

SlowJet
19th August 2006, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure what is exclusive but you could ty as root in kde

toggle on show hidden files so you can see the .files (dot-files and dot folers) under /home
there will be a kde, an oo0, a fx, and so on.
cp each to the /home/newuser
shouldn't need x or session stuff.
You could try a few and see how far you get.

SJ

tho.mei
19th August 2006, 10:50 AM
hallo

members of the group "root" can do nearly every thing like root itself.
It means: add the group root to your user.

SlowJet
19th August 2006, 11:12 AM
No, don't do that.
He is trying to be safer not just use a different name.

SJ

pete_1967
19th August 2006, 12:33 PM
Remember that once you've copied config directories and files into user's home, you need to chown them to the user `chown -R username:usergroup [file/directory]' also check that permissions are same as when in root's home (usually 755).

duni
19th August 2006, 04:41 PM
I did all the things I've read from this thread and from the other one... I had problems with the permissions, but I think, I've set them right...
At the end I see the same boot-up screen as in the root account, but I still become a critical error and KDE is switching off...
If someone has a better solution it will be great, but for now I will have to setup everything manually.
So I suppose I will login primary as root ... :rolleyes:

duni
21st August 2006, 10:14 AM
so, after one day playing arround I managed it at last....
I post only to say how I made it, in case someone is/will be in my situtation.
So copying and permission/owner setting doesn't work at all...
I made another user and started to use the same programs. then I copyed the .$program$ or .kde/shared/$program$ directories, the ./kde/shared/config files when needed (as root), and don't forget: not just setting the permissions as root, but renaming the owner and the groop to the new user.