PDA

View Full Version : "Video Mode Not Supported" with graphical installer

SlimCoder
18th August 2006, 08:43 AM
Hello, I am installing Linux (alongside Windows XP) for the first time, but Fedora's graphical installer does not work. When it tries to start, it detects my video card as an nVidia NV41.0, but it says I have an unknown monitor. Instead of starting, it shows a moving box that says, "Video mode not supported." I installed Fedora with the text installer instead, but now when I login and try to start X, it shows the same box.

The computer has an NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS video card and a Samsung SyncMaster 175v LCD monitor. I cannot download anything with the computer, as it does not have access to the internet (plus, even if I got a phone line to it, it's only AOL).

I have looked at the installation guide, read the FAQ, and searched some, but couldn't find much help. What I can't understand is that Knoppix 3.7, which is a couple years old, starts right up without any problem. If Knoppix has no problem, why does Fedora?

I am installing Linux largely because I want to develop an X backend for my GUI library. I have gotten some header files from Knoppix and have been writing some code on Windows, but I need Linux installed. So far I have only programmed on Windows and know little about Linux.

A separate question: GRUB seems to always boot into Fedora Core, unless you press a key and pick Windows. This means that if I am in Windows and pick Restart, it will automatically reboot into Fedora. Wouldn't it be better if it booted into the last one picked?

Thanks

Microsoft
9th October 2010, 11:13 AM
Hey i have the same problem here but i have windows sp3 nvidia engts250 1gb and Samsung SyncMaster 172v 17" and on startup it shows me the "video mode not supported" but when i change the monitor to the older Proview PX-772 17" Monitor it loads all perfectly but still i want to repair the Samsung because it fits in my table.And i Dont want to use proview anymore.

So Any Solutions !?!? pleass helpp

CSchwangler
9th October 2010, 04:03 PM
Hello, I am installing Linux (alongside Windows XP) for the first time, but Fedora's graphical installer does not work. When it tries to start, it detects my video card as an nVidia NV41.0, but it says I have an unknown monitor. Instead of starting, it shows a moving box that says, "Video mode not supported." I installed Fedora with the text installer instead, but now when I login and try to start X, it shows the same box.

The computer has an NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS video card and a Samsung SyncMaster 175v LCD monitor. I cannot download anything with the computer, as it does not have access to the internet (plus, even if I got a phone line to it, it's only AOL).

I have looked at the installation guide, read the FAQ, and searched some, but couldn't find much help. What I can't understand is that Knoppix 3.7, which is a couple years old, starts right up without any problem. If Knoppix has no problem, why does Fedora?

I am installing Linux largely because I want to develop an X backend for my GUI library. I have gotten some header files from Knoppix and have been writing some code on Windows, but I need Linux installed. So far I have only programmed on Windows and know little about Linux.

A separate question: GRUB seems to always boot into Fedora Core, unless you press a key and pick Windows. This means that if I am in Windows and pick Restart, it will automatically reboot into Fedora. Wouldn't it be better if it booted into the last one picked?

Thanks

Did you already try the workarounds mentioned in the Common Bugs section of the release notes?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F13_bugs#Miscellaneous_graphical_problems

Microsoft
9th October 2010, 09:41 PM
Did you already try the workarounds mentioned in the Common Bugs section of the release notes?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F13_bugs#Miscellaneous_graphical_problems

nothing in there that can help !!:(