PDA

View Full Version : Using 32-bit software when running 64-bit FC

DGF
17th August 2006, 08:53 PM
I've been aware for a long time that Athlon 64's can run both 64-bit and 32-bit code.
What I'm curious about is, are you able to run 32-bit applications while running a 64 bit OS such as Fedora Core x64? I'm mostly curious because I'm wondering if you aren't able to find a 64-bit version of a package, if you can simply install the 32-bit version and run it.

RedFedora
17th August 2006, 09:01 PM
As I understand it, you can run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit OS.
I think the only place you run into problems would be using 32-bit
plugins with a 64-bit app. I could be wrong as I haven't tried this.

DGF
17th August 2006, 09:20 PM
Ah... ok. That explains why all the problems I've read about involve Flash and Java.

Another user posted about getting these to work (thanks to r1348)
nspluginwrapper (http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:nspluginwrapper) for flash and
Blackdown (http://www.blackdown.org/) for a 64-bit implementation of java including a browser plugin.

So if what you're saying is correct, I don't see any real reason not to use the 64-bit version of FC, seeing as you can always resort to the same ole' 32-bit software if you can't find the 64-bit version.

DGF
17th August 2006, 09:24 PM
Hmmm... I used to use the mplayer browser plugin a whole lot. Anyone know if it has a 64-bit version?

tangotiger
18th August 2006, 02:02 AM
Try installing the 32-bit version since the codecs (if you care about playing wmvs and others) would not work in the 64 bit version (there aren't any 64 bit codecs for some popular formats at the moment). Just a recommendation.

Maners
18th August 2006, 02:22 PM
Just FYI, I have compiled a 64bit MPlayer from Subversion yesterday and it supports WMV9 natively - no need for win32codecs. Also I was able to install and use Flash 9 plugin in Firefox through Wine. With FC6 that will use GCJ plugin for Java in Firefox, we'll be able to run almost a completely clean 64bit environlemt without loosing a lot of functionality.

DGF
18th August 2006, 04:09 PM
Hm. I think I might just install a 32-bit version of epiphany and firefox. Don't see much point to running them in 64-bit as I can't imagine they are very math-intensive or otherwise have any noticeable advantage over 32-bit software.

Once 64-bit versions of popular plugins become aviable, I could start using the 64-bit versions of course.

fozner
29th August 2006, 08:46 AM
Just FYI, I have compiled a 64bit MPlayer from Subversion yesterday and it supports WMV9 natively
That 64 bit wmv9 is sweet. Too bad only last week I got fed up and downgraded mplayer, firefox and plugins to 32 bit using yumex --forcei386

Oh well, it's easy to switch them back to 64 bit. I'll just wait for the rpm.

nigel_haveron
3rd September 2006, 12:53 AM
My question is how easy is it to install a 32bit program on FC5_64 by rebuilding the rpm and changing the dependencies (or maybe amending the source).

I have recently switched my server over to FC5_64, my only gripe is Pan (newsreader) supplied is 3 years old and a real hog (cpu/memory) when trying to access large binary newsgroups. On the developers website there is a new beta, which works much better (on FC5_32) but is 32bit and so is the rpm, so when you try and install it, the pre-requisite software it needs is there but is 64 not 32bit so it says it can't find them, also if installed with dependencies ignored when you run Pan it complains it can't find he likes of gtkspell which is installed (64bit version).

Volenteers on their website have created various install packages for different linuxes, there is a 64bit package for Ubuntu listed, so how difficult would it be for me to take the source and make a 64bit rpm? (Fedora did it with the 3 year old version!)

I must admit I know nothing about Yum so is that an option or is that just for installing from online repostitories?

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated (I have searched but not found much to go on).

Nig

fozner
3rd September 2006, 05:45 AM
Just set up your rpm build system according to the docs that come up when you first start firefox on fedora. Grab the spec file from the latest src.rpm you can get your hands on, extract the new sources to the build tree, change the version numbers in the spec file and away you go.

There are better guides than these. Just search for build fedora rpm
http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/developers-guide/ch-rpm-building.html
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/rpmbuild/

nigel_haveron
3rd September 2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks Fozner, I will have a play, I have not tried building my own RPMs yet, but it looks like I soon will!