PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best name for a pendrive boot image?

jspaleta
7th April 2004, 12:00 AM
What if.....
There was a new installer boot image made available that was too big for a standard floppy, but worked on things like usb pen drives
or zip disk or other bootable media besides cds and floppies, what would be the best name?

It can't be called boot.img. boot.img was the name of the image used for floppies, and using it now for the larger image will cause unnecessary confusion.

So what are some good ideas for a usable non-confusing name? Remember this image..if it existed...isn't just for usb pendrives, there are a number of different bootable disk media that it could concievably work for, though on modern hardware a usb pendrive would be a very common usage.

jspaleta
7th April 2004, 12:12 AM
bah... i can't actually add more poll options after the fact...
so.... if you have a new name idea... reply to this thread with the subject
New Name Idea: whatever.img

add a comment in the body of the text that gives a reasoning for the suggesting

then vote for "something else"

if the "something else" category gets a lot of votes i'll pick MY favorite names from the suggestions in the thread and run the poll again up to the maximum of 10 poll options if there are that many name ideas.

-jef

mhelios
7th April 2004, 06:56 AM
Hi Jef :)

Since other removable media is fair game, this eliminates penboot.img IMO (although I do like this name). I quite like diskboot.img but I actually think bootdisk.img sounds better. ;)
bigbooty.img seems a little derogatory IMO. (or is that just my mind. :o ...)
As for iduck.img, well, I can't deduce any logical meaning from that one. Is it supposed to be a iMac-spawned idea?? Since this is supposed to be the least confusing one, I count that one out IMO.

So from that I lean toward bootdisk.img/diskboot.img or "something else".

A couple ideas to add to the something else category:
-largeboot.img
-bootimage.img
-nonfloppy.img
-altboot.img
-boot2.img <-quite like that
-nextgenboot.img

If you would like these or any others you wanted to add to the poll, just PM me and I'll add them.

I'm glad there's development in the works for a new generation boot image. Many, many repeated queries for a boot floppy image gets old fast..

TTYL and nice to have you here Jef.

jspaleta
7th April 2004, 07:03 AM
who said this was actually in development....
lets just leave it as...what if...

google iduck ... be shocked and awed.

jspaleta
7th April 2004, 07:21 AM
the filename needs to stay within the
8.3 filaname rule
so... largeboot.img doesnt work 9.3.

Ug
7th April 2004, 08:35 AM
Moved to "Linux Chat".

mhelios
7th April 2004, 08:50 AM
who said this was actually in development....
lets just leave it as...what if...

google iduck ... be shocked and awed.

Ha! Shocked and awed I am. :eek:
http://www.dynamism.com/iduck/

Oh one more thing....

the filename needs to stay within the
8.3 filaname rule
so... largeboot.img doesnt work 9.3.

Dang, that rules out all of my suggestions except
boot2.img and altboot.img.
Although, change nonfloppy.img to nofloppy.img and that's fine...

mhelios
7th April 2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Ug
Moved to "Linux Chat".
Hmmm, you sure?? I think this is more a Fedora Development topic... There is potential that it *could* become a topic that The Fedora Steering Committee may consider..

Ug
7th April 2004, 09:02 AM
Yea, I'm sure. If the thread develops right, then i'll admit i'm wrong and put it back. ;)

Mind you we do have a few Red Hat people signed up to the board.

mhelios
7th April 2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Ug
Yea, I'm sure. If the thread develops right, then i'll admit i'm wrong and put it back. ;)

Mind you we do have a few Red Hat people signed up to the board.
I think you may soon be wrong. ;)

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-April/msg00332.html

Jman
8th April 2004, 01:25 AM
This depends on what you call those USB drive thingys. Flash drives, pen drives, just USB drives...

Of course this need not be limited to USB devices.

I propose bootlrg.img. It means large boot image, nice and general, and it fits within 8.3.

mhelios
9th April 2004, 03:50 AM
Jeremy Katz @ RedHat has already conjured up some images for this.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/katzj/

So, everyone, vote for what you like or vote the "something else" and state what you like/suggest.

wbrown33
15th April 2004, 07:07 PM
How about "shoe.img" as opposed to "boot.img"? It is smaller, isn't it?

Jman
15th April 2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by wbrown33
How about "shoe.img" as opposed to "boot.img"? It is smaller, isn't it?
No, it's larger so it won't fit on a floppy. So it's larger than boot, that won't work. It's an interesting name, though.

Or maybe it should be strap.img, in recognition of the bootstrap process that has since been shortened to boot.

mhelios
29th April 2004, 11:26 AM
Well, the name has been decided as can be seen in any FTP/HTTP Fedora Core2 test3 repository in the .../os/images directory. It is "diskboot.img"

From the README in that directory:

The diskboot.img file is a VFAT filesystem image that can be written to a
USB pendrive or other bootable media larger than a floppy. Note that
booting via USB is dependent on your BIOS supporting this. It should
be written to the device using dd.

Avatraxiom
8th August 2004, 09:07 PM
This depends on what you call those USB drive thingys. Flash drives, pen drives, just USB drives...

Hahaha. I work with a girl who used to be part of the "USB Flash Drive Alliance," and she absolutely insists that they're called "USB Flash Drives." :-)

-Max

imdeemvp
8th August 2004, 09:38 PM
how about usbboot.img? :D

TuxCymraeg
29th August 2007, 05:17 PM
I prefer PenOS

It's got the Pen for Penguin and OS for Operating System. Besides, if you say it fast enough people may think it's called penis!!

JN4OldSchool
29th August 2007, 07:03 PM
You resurrected a thread that has been dead for dang near 3 years just so you could say "penis?"

sheesh...

TuxCymraeg
30th August 2007, 09:21 AM
To JN4OldSchool : Sorry for that! Just having a nose through old posts and PenOS was meant as a play on words of pendrive/penguin. The penis bit just came about when I was reading the post through for typos!

Incidentally, I'm quite pleased with F7 and am looking forward to the release of F8. Mind you I am toying with the idea of giving Debian a go for a few months before F8 comes out!