PDA

View Full Version : Yum won't work...

Redroar
17th August 2006, 01:41 AM
First, I'm pretty noobish. Just got FC5 a week ago.

Well, anyway, when I use yum, while it's getting those primary.xml.gz files, it is not working. Sometimes I get errno 4, which seems to be it timing out. Not surprising, considering I'm on dial-up. However, sometimes the download completes, then it gives me errno -1, saying that the metadata doesn't match the checksum. This is very frustrating, as I just want to get back up. I haven't installed any video/mainboard drivers yet.

Current Kernel is 2.6.16-1.2129

Here are the contents of yum.conf (I got the modified one from fedorafaq)

Please Help!

# This is the fedorafaq.org yum.conf for Fedora Core 5.
#
# Note that you also need the rest of the configuration
# as described at http://www.fedorafaq.org/#yumconf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
# Don't check keys for localinstall
gpgcheck=0
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800
# Changed this because some mirrors go down and then
# re-trying takes forever.
timeout=7

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

schwim
17th August 2006, 02:19 AM
hehe... hehehehe.... HAHAHAHAH!!! <insert loony laugh, depicting my slide into insanity>

Yes sir, you have been introduced to yum. You'll find some of my past threads concerning it will ease your mind, knowing that it's nothing you've done. No sir, yum sucks.

Here's what helps me keep my sanity. Please note that you're going to have to stick with yum through at least one update, then we can use a frontend that seems to work a lot better for me.

"yum install yumex" This will install yumex, a frontend that seems to give me a lot less problems on bad checksums. In the properties of yumex, I checked "choose best mirrors".

If you can't get yum working long enough to even grab yumex, then we'll need to disable some repos.

thanks,
json

Redroar
17th August 2006, 02:27 AM
Well, OK, it's nice to know that I didn't do anything wrong.

Right now I'm trying pup, but I don't really think it's working. I got to the point where I can choose which packages I want, but then it sits eternally on "Resolving dependencies for updates"

Hell, I'll just close it down, not doing anything. *Closes Pup*

OK, I just typed in yum install yumex...Ah! Progress! It appears to be working!

bob
17th August 2006, 02:36 AM
(Some of us LIKE yum, ya know!) If you've installed 'yum-fastestmirror' , please remove that. It has tended to cause a lot of rejected mirrors and actually slows the whole process down.

Some options, as Schwim will tell you, are Apt & it's gui version Synaptic - an excellent set of programs, and SMART, which I also use on occasion and find to work well. You can install all of them and then try them out for your personal favorite.

schwim
17th August 2006, 02:39 AM
Once you get yumex installed, go to your applications menu/System/Yum Extender. Start it up.

Now, you'll have to go through this whole repo download thing, but once you've got that done, here's what you need to do:

1)Edit/Preferences/Mirror detection: Best
2)BE SURE YOU DISABLE "auto refresh on start"

Being on dial up, #2 can save you a half hour at the best, and if one of the repos are down, it will allow you to continue using Yumex.

Once you've got that done, If you attempt to install something, and one of the repos is giving you a fit, go to repos on the left pane of Yumex, and disable the troublesome repo AS LONG AS IT ISN'T ONE YOU NEED FOR YOUR CURRENT INSTALL :)

There you go sir, from one dial-up user to another, I feel your pain, and I cry tears of a clown knowing that another copper wire warrior has to deal with this evil entity known as yum.

thanks,
json

Redroar
17th August 2006, 02:44 AM
Well, yumex is working MUCH, muchmuchmuch MUCH better. I mean, it's updating! Yay!

I only have problems with things that cause problems. So long as yumex works, I'm happy.

Now to wait overnight as my pathetic dial-up updates everything.

schwim
17th August 2006, 02:44 AM
(Some of us LIKE yum, ya know!)

Usually the ratio of users that like yum closely shadow the numbers of broadband users.

It's not that I dislike yum. I dislike having to download 3 megs of data to grab a 11k file through it. I think that if we all put our heads together, we could find a way around this, and at the same time, we could group hug... you know, since all of our heads are together.....

like a huddle?

thanks,
json

schwim
17th August 2006, 02:48 AM
Hi there Redroar,

I usually try yum update a* and if that's too large for one night's download, I try groups: yum update kde* or gnome* or gtk*.... I could go on all night, but I'm sure that you get the idea ;)

Glad it's working for you.

thanks,
json

bob
17th August 2006, 03:00 AM
Here's a good Wiki page on the managers: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum and here's a how-to on Smart: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=111394

About Yum, one of the main problems is that it will die on a single failed dependency. That's where Yumex is so good - you can pick and choose your updates very easily. However, if you want to run the command-line version and skip those broken dependency problems, try that 'tips and tricks' section. I use it regularly and it's a thing of beauty - but then again, I have broadband.....

Redroar
17th August 2006, 03:10 AM
Well, I didn't do #1 or 2 on your list, as I was so excited to get it running. Right now it's downloading headers, which is farther than standard yum ever got.

Redroar
17th August 2006, 05:33 AM
I believe I may have spoken too soon. I got it up, and while it was loading headers, I realized that I was waaay over my head for one night of downloads. Yeah, like I was going to get every single update over dial-up in one night. Ha. Anyway, I cancel it, and when I bring it back up the list full of updates was gone. I try to refresh the repos only to have the extras Population thing keep messing up.

I'm gonna try to get Apt on here. Yum sucks.

schwim
17th August 2006, 05:39 AM
Fight the anger young jedi. Thousands of people use it, and rarely do people complain. It's just that not all applications fit everyone's needs.

Definately try apt, and see how you like it. Once I got Yumex and set it up the way I liked it, it's the best deal for me, 32k connection and all :D

thanks,
json

bob
17th August 2006, 06:20 AM
And... those updates will still be there in the morning. A partial bork will make it all disappear for the time being, but a refresh and reboot and chances are they will be back and waiting for you.... as will Schwim... 'nite all!

marko
17th August 2006, 06:23 AM
Usually the ratio of users that like yum closely shadow the numbers of broadband users.

It's not that I dislike yum. I dislike having to download 3 megs of data to grab a 11k file through it. I think that if we all put our heads together, we could find a way around this, and at the same time, we could group hug... you know, since all of our heads are together.....

like a huddle?

thanks,
json

You don't have to download a bunch of stuff for a 11k file, just do:

yum -C update file

-C tells yum to just use the metadatabase it already has, quoting
the man page:

-C Tells yum to run entirely from cache - does not download or
update any headers unless it has to to perform the requested
action.
Mark

schwim
17th August 2006, 02:30 PM
Hi there Mark,

That doesn't always work for me Mark, sometimes I get an error, and unfortunately, I can't remember what it is exactly.

Still, it does work often enough to make it handy.

thanks,
json

Redroar
17th August 2006, 05:13 PM
Hey, I just realized it was Fedora Extras giving me all my grief. I disabled it and now I can update fine. I'll still give apt a shot, as I was looking over Ubuntu at a friends house and Synaptic looked great. Why doesn't yumex come standard with FC5? It's a hell of a lot better than pup.

Also, a second question. I downloaded 4 things over yumex. The new Firefox update, the new Yum update, and the new Kernel and Kernel-Devel. Firefox is updated, yum is updated, and the kernel is in my filesystem, but I can't select it through GRUB. How do I add it to my GRUB list without
A) Losing my old kernel in case it doesn't work
B) Messing GRUB up so I can't boot into anything.

bob
17th August 2006, 05:36 PM
It should have automatically updated your grub.conf; however you can also manually do that. Simply, as root (su -):

gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf

Next, copy your current kernel info and paste it right below, so you've got two kernels showing. Then change the numbers on the top kernel lines to the match the new kernel. Finally, below the last line of your last kernel, hit 'enter' once to add a blank line so everything will be read properly. Then, save, exit, and reboot to test.

u-noneinc-s
17th August 2006, 05:39 PM
OK, bob beat me to it. Definately try his method first. If it doesn't work DL and install the new kernel manually
<rpm -ivh kernelname.rpm>