PDA

View Full Version : Installing x?

DarkSoul1985
16th August 2006, 05:55 PM
A lot of programs are talking about lack of X (for exaple, wine) + I would like to use realvnc or some other graphical remote options.

I did yum install x-org since x-org was running on my local pc as graphical skin. This seemed to work however I have no idea how to use it now and if I am using the correct application. (I have 2 servers, 1 installed by myself at home with fedora core 5 and GNOME, and 1 in a datacenter with currently no graphical access).
Can't find the correct description on google for this on fedora core 5.
CAn anyone help me? (tell me if x-org is correct and how to fire it up/use it or give a link)

Thanks in advance.

ccrvic
17th August 2006, 09:23 AM
1 in a datacenter with currently no graphical access

If you've got a headless machine in a datacentre, you do not want to run X on it. It is completely pointless running a service that, by definition, cannot be used by anyone.

If you want to run graphical programmes on the headless machine and see the results on your desktop, you need to permit your remote machine to connect to your local X server. "man ssh" and "man sshd" for how to do this.

Vic.

DarkSoul1985
17th August 2006, 12:27 PM
well i'm using wine and wine needs X for one application so I can see what is happening. I tried yum install x-org but when I did service x-org start the command isn't recognized.

ccrvic
17th August 2006, 12:29 PM
well i'm using wine and wine needs X for one application so I can see what is happening.

And if you run X on your headless remote box, you will not see a thing. That would seem like a waste of time...

Vic.

DarkSoul1985
17th August 2006, 12:32 PM
And if you run X on your headless remote box, you will not see a thing. That would seem like a waste of time...

Vic.
check my post above please, windows emulator wine needs it (winehq.com).

ccrvic
17th August 2006, 12:52 PM
check my post above please, windows emulator wine needs it (winehq.com).

OK, I give up. You go ahead and install an X server on a machine without a head. Knock yourself out.

When, eventually, you come to realise what a monumental waste of time that is, go back and read my first response which tells you how to get everything working.

Until then, feel free to continue arguing. But do it on your own, 'cos I'm not interested.

Vic.