PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinion on AMD CPU

satimis
15th August 2006, 05:13 PM
Hi folks,

I'm planning to build a workstation for testing software particularly database, business intelligence, dw, etc.

On selecting CPU I hesitate whether selecting AMD OPTERON 64 dual core OR AMD Athlon 64 socket AM2 dual core. Referring to price structure the latter is more attractive. However the former has higher L2 cache.

Please shed me some light including their motherboard selection. TIA

B.R.
satimis

scotta3234
15th August 2006, 05:24 PM
I think you will be very happy with the Athlon AM2 dual core. I recently built a thin client server using this processor and was able to serve a lab of 30 computers off the server. A friiend of mine recently bought the same processor and a k9n msi motherboard and has been very happy with it.

steve941
15th August 2006, 09:49 PM
Can't go wrong with AMD AM2 64,
For motherboard, id have to recommend:
ASUS M2NPV-VM
http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/productdetails.aspx?submit=&item=13-131-014&ATTMotherboards%20AMD
integraded 128MB Geforce 6000 series video (configurable)

satimis
16th August 2006, 04:02 AM
Hi folks,

Your advice noted with tks.

B.R.
satimis

satimis
16th August 2006, 05:12 PM
Hi folks,

One further question, the ASUS mobo mentioned has onboard garphic card and sound card. Will the former eats up resource? In the past I heard bad thing against onboard graphic. TIA

B.R.
satimis

scotta3234
16th August 2006, 05:15 PM
Even if you don't game I would still spend at least a little bit of money to get a graphics card and avoid onboard graphics at all costs.

skoona
17th August 2006, 07:50 PM
What about virtualization? The ability to run multiple OS's un-changed, like XP & Fedora. The Opteron F series, recently announced, offers hardware virtualization support to run multiple os's un-changed. All other schemes to do this on AMD/X86 processors do not work this way - i.e. they required the OS's to be modified in some way.

Even when done with hardware assist, virtualization does not offer full 3D support of the graphics card to all/some guest. So there are some draw-backs to virtualiztion if your into 3d graphics/gaming/etc.

Given the state and prices for technology today AMD 2/64 is the best buy for the money-without this new virtualization feature. Intel's CoreDual/64 chips have the feature for the same price point, bu can't match the perfomance results of AMD's family. But it is worth looking at.

Net. Net. I'm buying the AMD Opteron F series, when it comes down in price around Christmas2006.

glussier
17th August 2006, 10:50 PM
Intel's CoreDual/64 chips have the feature for the same price point, bu can't match the perfomance results of AMD's family. But it is worth looking at.

Where have you seen this? Even the E6300 at 1.83ghz is roughly the equivalent of an AMD64 running at 2.4ghz. Check Google for all the benches and you'll see that the new Conroe whips the ass of the AMD64.