PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Stupid Question

GaryJ73167
15th August 2006, 03:45 AM
I am about to install FC5, and, I am wondering....

Like windows, are there different sound themes and desktop backgrounds you can set?

For example, when FC5 boots up, will it play a sound of your choice? And, when you shut down the computer, will it play a sound of your choice? etc....etc

Just wondering

Wayne
15th August 2006, 03:50 AM
I am about to install FC5, and, I am wondering....

Like windows, are there different sound themes and desktop backgrounds you can set?

For example, when FC5 boots up, will it play a sound of your choice? And, when you shut down the computer, will it play a sound of your choice? etc....etc

Just wondering

In a word, yes.

Are you installing KDE or Gnome?

For Gnome themes:

www.gnome-look.org

For KDE themes:

www.kde-look.org

You can install backgrounds, icon themes, window themes, sound themes, themes themes :D

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forums, lots of help and great people here!

Wayne

uth
15th August 2006, 03:54 AM
Extremely Stupid Answer:

Only if you install the Fedora Core 5 Special Desktop Theme edition. If you don't have it, get a felt tip marker and write "Desktop Theme edition" on your CD. Then you'll be all set :)

GaryJ73167
15th August 2006, 03:58 AM
Extremely Stupid Answer:

Only if you install the Fedora Core 5 Special Desktop Theme edition. If you don't have it, get a felt tip marker and write "Desktop Theme edition" on your CD. Then you'll be all set :)

I am not understanding your answer. There is a Fedora Core 5 Special Desktop Theme edition ? or, are you being sarcastic?

Liek i said, it wasnt the brightest question, but, i am new to this, and just wanted to know that.

On the other hand, i m not sure if I am installing KDE or GNOME. Got the install ISO DVD fro, the ftp and am trying it out...Thanks for your kind reply and the links.

Wayne
15th August 2006, 04:00 AM
Extremely Stupid Answer:

OK, so lots of great people...... and extremely cheeky ones too :D

Wayne

uth
15th August 2006, 04:01 AM
I am not understanding your answer. There is a Fedora Core 5 Special Desktop Theme edition ? or, are you being sarcastic?

Liek i said, it wasnt the brightest question, but, i am new to this, and just wanted to know that.

On the other hand, i m not sure if I am installing KDE or GNOME. Got the install ISO DVD fro, the ftp and am trying it out...Thanks for your kind reply and the links.

Just a little humor attempt, guess it fell flat, oh well. :rolleyes: Anyway, there are all kinds of themes in the standard install.

Wayne
15th August 2006, 04:02 AM

uth was yanking your chain :D

If you're not sure whether you should install KDE or Gnome, why not install both if you have the disk space? You can select which desktop to use when you log in to the system. Play with them both and when you're comfortable with one it's very easy to remove the other.

Wayne

GaryJ73167
15th August 2006, 04:20 AM

If you're not sure whether you should install KDE or Gnome, why not install both if you have the disk space? You can select which desktop to use when you log in to the system. Play with them both and when you're comfortable with one it's very easy to remove the other.

Wayne

Thanks Guys. And thank you too Uth....

:)

Wayne
15th August 2006, 04:21 AM

Wayne

Once you get your system installed I suggest you go to the following page to setup all those little extras that a Fedorian might need, like how to play MP3s and watch videos, etc.

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java

Wayne