PDA

View Full Version : Cant boot from CD

RUGUNIT
14th August 2006, 12:31 AM
So this is probably something completely obvious that im just not catching on to, but if anyone can just point me in the right direction id really appreciate it.

Im attempting to install Fedora Core 5 as a dual-boot on my pentium 4, gateway pc running windows Xp.

I downloaded and burned all the 5 ISO's using roxio. The instructions say to allow the computer to boot from the disc, but i cant get this to work. Now booting from a disc seemed simple enough since ive done it at school a million times, but apparently my computer doesnt want to work with me. I checked the BIOS settings and there set up to boot from the CD first, removeable hardware 2nd, and Hard Drive 3rd. Ive tried burning the discs as data discs, and as Bootable discs. Ive tried other download mirrors, and ive been trying different discs and methods for hours.

If anyone can help id greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rug

poolie
14th August 2006, 12:51 AM
when u boot up and u get the bios screen where it does the ram check and checks for primary or master and slave devices where it says press del to enter setup (u know this cos uve been in bios) is there not other options there like press F9 for boot menu. if there is press it and then choose the cd rom or dvd rom u have the cd in and that should work.

RUGUNIT
14th August 2006, 01:25 AM
Unfortunatly, my computer zooms past that screen so fast that no text appears. But i just tried pressing F9 during boot and nothing happened. I had tried previously to go into the area where you can select safe mode and such and in that menu no such choice appears to boot from cd. Thanks though...

poolie
14th August 2006, 01:28 AM
i used f9 as a example. on my system its actually F8 and on my other system downstairs its F11 try them maybe they might work.

Seve
14th August 2006, 01:33 AM
Ive tried burning the discs as data discs, and as Bootable discs. Ive tried other download mirrors, and ive been trying different discs and methods for hours.

If anyone can help id greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rug
Hello:
Your BIOS issues aside you need to burn the disc as an iso image and you should be good to go.
Seve

RUGUNIT
14th August 2006, 02:40 AM
alright thanks ill try to find some software to burn iso images, because my roxio cant.

poolie
14th August 2006, 02:52 AM
nero or alcohol will burn them :)

RUGUNIT
14th August 2006, 02:54 AM
are there any free utilities to do the trick? Ive never heard of alcohol but i know nero aint free...

thanks

poolie
14th August 2006, 02:55 AM
hmm im not sure. im sure if u google free iso burning software something might pop up.

RUGUNIT
14th August 2006, 02:59 AM
alright ill give that a shot...thanks again

JohnVV
14th August 2006, 03:03 AM
beleave it or not but win xp will burn iso's .
Just copy and past into your cd/dvd drive from windows explorer

ryptyde
14th August 2006, 03:16 AM
I have used ImgBurn and it will do what you need easily and it is free but you can donate if you wish. I'm assuming you are using Windows and I have burnt ISO's with Roxio and Sonic RecordNow too but ImgBurn is the ticket.

ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/)

Phil