PDA

View Full Version : General HDD question

Ruppmeister
13th August 2006, 06:27 PM
Hi,
So I just got my new FC5 box up and running...yay! My question is, I have done the install with two hard drives in the machine and let it configure the partitions on its own. Because Im new to this and dont know what Im doing I need to know how FC looks at hard drives. I wondering if the new hard drive mounts on bootup on its own or do I have to configure it? Also Im wondering if like M$ stuff the hard drives shows up in my comp as sepperate drives and you save directly to the drive you want, in FC5 do you have to save it to a exact drive or does the OS "share" all the space?
Any help getting this NooB any help "seeing" the drive would help...including the exact commands if needs cauz I dont know them already :(
Thanks

SlowJet
13th August 2006, 06:56 PM
FC5 would install /boot partition hda1 for 200 MB
Then it would create LVM PV (PhyicalVolume) with a VolumeGroup00 for the rest of hda
On the VG would be 2 LogicalVolumes / (rootand all dirs structures including home, and an LV for a swap.

These would be mounted when it booted up.

The second drive would be as it was when the install began. You will need to tell FC to partition it with the LVM gui tool in Gnome.

I recommend you start over and use the Installer disk druid gui tool and create more useful and meaningful partitions.
/boot 200 MB
/ 16 GB
/home 32 GB
Depending on your needs and size of the disk.

The disk druid may seems confusing at fisrt but you can practice (new, add, cahge, delete)
It will not do anything until you click next.

SJ

Ruppmeister
13th August 2006, 07:48 PM
Slowjet,
Thanks for the help. When I go into LVM to see the drives I go to Vol Groups, Vol Group00, Vol Group00 Physical View. Here it shows both hard drives, a 20 gig and a 80 gig. 20 is installed with OS and 80 is there for file sever aplications. Both show up as red in color (if that makes a difference) and Im thinking that this means both are mounted, right? If they are mounted how do I find where it was mounted to? If it is not mounted how do I do that?
Thanks

SlowJet
13th August 2006, 08:28 PM
su -
cat /etc/fstab

also the system-monitorr devices tab will show space.

It looks like it did use both disks for /

Effectivly, the 80 GB drive will not be used much (swap may be at the end) untill the 20 GB is full.
I would switch the disks (master - slave) , and use the installer disk druid to make a /home lv

Sj

Ruppmeister
13th August 2006, 09:18 PM
Ok so heres what I get with my fstab:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

But with what you said, the 20 gig will be used first then the OS just knows to use the next disk right? And if I fill the 80 GB I can install a new drive to add on and it just keeps going right?
And maybe you could could explain some advantages of making the 80 the primary like you sugeested. Again thats for the help.

SlowJet
13th August 2006, 09:32 PM
But with what you said, the 20 gig will be used first then the OS just knows to use the next disk right? And if I fill the 80 GB I can install a new drive to add on and it just keeps going right?
And maybe you could could explain some advantages of making the 80 the primary like you sugeested. Again thats for the help.

That's right.
The 80 is faster enternally.. (and maybe externally)

SJ

Ruppmeister
13th August 2006, 09:49 PM
SlowJet,

Thanks for the help that you have given. Because Im so new to this Linux side and would like to learn everything that I know in M$ crapy OS, could you recomend somewhere to get started learning the most basic stuff? Maybe a book or website that gives basic commands and opperations, anything would be a HUGE help at this point.

Thanks for your help.

SlowJet
13th August 2006, 10:15 PM
google linux commands - there is a site that has all the commands with ifo on using them.

When you want to use a command first do
man <commnad>
to get the manual pages for it i.g
man lvm

some are like windows
cd /etc
dir
cd /var/log
dir

ls -l - list file
ls -halZ - a list for SELinux context in human format

nano - simple termal editor

At the top of your browser is a bar full of places to look.
At the top of this site is a lot of bookmarks

And a search function.

Books are very subjective. Most are crap. Go to the bookstore and browse a few. If it has more detail and new info in the first 20 pages tan you know already note the name and author and ask around.

Lean yum and rpm - see man pages
rpm -qa openoffice.org-*

su - # means switch user and used defalts which really look like this
su -l root

reboot

exit

SJ