PDA

View Full Version : Using yum for local install

hemant_ramdasi
13th August 2006, 08:30 AM
Hi All,
I have installed FCS5 on my machine with minimum packages. I now want to install remaining packages one-by-one using yum. I have all the packages in one directory.

But I don't know how to configure yum for instaling packages from this directory. I can use rpm but it is not useful as it doesnot check package dependancy.

Can anybody help me in this?

Thanks & Regards,
Hemant

SlowJet
13th August 2006, 08:48 AM
su -
yum localinstall /home/myrpmdir/*.rpm

The enabled repos for FC (and others) need to be online so they can resolve the dependentcies..
The repos for FC core and updates are already enabled by default.

So if you are online why not just do
yum install package1 package2 packagennn
and you can see the list and resolution before you say
y

SJ

ihavenoname
13th August 2006, 11:00 PM
hemant_ramdasi if you want to set up a local repo. I belive the best method of doing this would be to install the Smart package manager and use it's gui function to add a directory of rpms (as a repo). Just type (in a terminal as root )

yum install smart (you may also need to install smart-gui but I am not sure.)

Then use the channel add function of smart to add your directory. Give the directory a higher value. Now, when you attempt to install packages (using smart) it will first look for the packages inside your directory before attepting to download the package.

I am sorry if this is lacking, I am not on Fedore right now, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask and we will guide you through the process.

greyhound
14th August 2006, 05:09 AM
I made a fully download into a new directory
cd xxx
wget -m http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/

After removing all repo-files in /etc/yum.repos.d
i made a new one: festplatte.repo with

[updates-FP]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Updates-FP
baseurl=file:///home/xxx/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

Updating with reproducable results on a certain status
can now be handled with Software-updater, yum and yumex

ihavenoname
14th August 2006, 06:59 AM
I made a fully download into a new directory
cd xxx
wget -m http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/

After removing all repo-files in /etc/yum.repos.d
i made a new one: festplatte.repo with

[updates-FP]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Updates-FP
baseurl=file:///home/xxx/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

Updating with reproducable results on a certain status
can now be handled with Software-updater, yum and yumex

wow, I like your method. Can I ask what inspired this though? If you have the speed to get that many files from the server wouldn't it be better if you simply got the files as you need them? Also, they would be more "up to date" that way.

greyhound
14th August 2006, 05:34 PM
Now my fedora systems run very well. I wanted to stabilise them und make the status reproducable. Later updates will be tested carefully before they are integrated. Furthermore, the amount of downloads is relative, because I use them for some installations.
greetings