PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Clock

Elliot
13th August 2006, 01:12 AM
HI,

Well my Linux skills are not to great, but i am wanting some help. I need to check what clock my kernal use's at the moment, ie whether its 100 250 or 1000.

Then if its anything but 1000 i want to change it to 1000.

I have never compiled a kernal before and i also know very little about it, so a guide and step by step instructions would be great.

I only have access to the server via ssh, so if something goes wrong, well i cant afford for anything to go wrong really.

Any help would be brilliant.

Regards

Elliot

Elliot
13th August 2006, 01:41 AM
Its FC5 running 2.6.17

Brian1
13th August 2006, 02:57 AM
Check out this post first to undestand the steps to build a kernel.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=1401136#post1401136

Now when you get to the make xconfig and have loaded the .config file to get started you will need to goto Processor type and features and then down to Time Freqency to change to 1000. I believe default is 250.

Brian1

Elliot
13th August 2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks for your reply, i am not sure i understand that post and isnt it for FC3? Is it possible just to edit the Time Frequency without recompiling my kernel? I really need novice help on this one!!!!!

Brian1
14th August 2006, 08:09 PM
Kernel must be recompiled to modify the time frequency. I believe it ties into other portion of the kernel. You may be able to just edit the .config under the kernel source code and then run the makefile against the following. file:///usr/src/linux/kernel/timer.c
file:///usr/src/linux/kernel/time.c

But agian never really did partial builds or modified without a complete rebuild. If the kernel is already built and change just a few items then it will only build what has changed.

Brian1

Elliot
24th August 2006, 07:21 PM
Just to add, if somebody has a kernel that runs at 1000hz that i can download and install that would be great, i just can not get my head around how to recompile, just need a solution.

Thanks