PDA

View Full Version : SHA1 Checksum problem - Please Help

src2206
12th August 2006, 04:47 PM
Hi friends
I have downloaded 5 CDs of FC5 and tried to verify them during initial stages of installation. I received an error massege with Disc2 and Disc3 that the burnt file has error..... I used HashCalc software to find out the SHA1 checksum of all the downloaded ISO images and compared them with the listed checksums at the official Fedora download page. I found out that for Disc2 and 3 the checksums did not match and for others it was matching. When I verified the other CDs I did not get any error massege from Linux.
Now my question is that is this checksum matching a very important factor? Should I go on installing with my present CDs or do I need to redownload these two?
Please help. :confused:

Seve
12th August 2006, 06:40 PM
Hi friends
I have downloaded 5 CDs of FC5 and tried to verify them during initial stages of installation. I received an error massege with Disc2 and Disc3 that the burnt file has error..... I used HashCalc software to find out the SHA1 checksum of all the downloaded ISO images and compared them with the listed checksums at the official Fedora download page. I found out that for Disc2 and 3 the checksums did not match and for others it was matching. When I verified the other CDs I did not get any error massege from Linux.
Now my question is that is this checksum matching a very important factor? Should I go on installing with my present CDs or do I need to redownload these two?
Please help. :confused:
Hello:
Yes, the SHA1 checksum is important, for integrity reasons.
You certainly could try an install first and see if you run into problems. If you choose to do so, I would install the least that you can get away with (no more than ) the first 2 discs [your disc1 is good and disc 2 may be dodgy] and you can use yum to update after you are up and running.
Seve

src2206
12th August 2006, 06:46 PM
thanks. I'll post here about the results.

src2206
13th August 2006, 05:38 PM
One question: Why I had different SHA1 than the original? I downloaded from Fedora site only! Though during download my internet connection disturbed a lot and I was frequently dissconnected and reconnected. I used Free Download Manager program to download.
Is any one of the above may be the reason or there is something else that I'm missing?
Please understand that I want ot 100% prepared before I redownload them.
Please help.
Thank you.

Seve
14th August 2006, 03:16 PM
One question: Why I had different SHA1 than the original? I downloaded from Fedora site only! Though during download my internet connection disturbed a lot and I was frequently dissconnected and reconnected. I used Free Download Manager program to download.
Is any one of the above may be the reason or there is something else that I'm missing?
Please understand that I want ot 100% prepared before I redownload them.
Please help.
Thank you.
Hello:
Your SHA1 difference is simply becuase there was a difference between the original ISO and what ended up being saved to your disc.
This could happen for a number of reasons (data corruption, packet loss, memory error etc..) Events like you described happening to your internet connection, I'm sure contributed as well. I am not familiar with the download manager that you used, but sometimes they are not the best.

You only need to download the second ISO as your first is okay and you can do an installation with 2 discs if you go with a basic install.
You can add other features or packages with yum later.
Seve

rappermas
14th August 2006, 04:17 PM
Disconnects are the biggest cause of errors for downloads.

What Seve said is true--you could still install a basic desktop and then upgrade it through yum.

src2206
14th August 2006, 05:13 PM
Thank you Seve.
Well I have to use Download Managers because my net connection offers me only 1GB of Data download limit per month with 256Kbps speed. Only during 2:00 AM to 8:00 AM it is unlimited. So I need to pause between downloads.
In that case do you think that it will better if I go for Torrent Download?

thank you rappermas for confirmation.

Seve
14th August 2006, 05:35 PM
Thank you Seve.
Well I have to use Download Managers because my net connection offers me only 1GB of Data download limit per month with 256Kbps speed. Only during 2:00 AM to 8:00 AM it is unlimited. So I need to pause between downloads.

Hello:
Yes, I think given your situation that bit torrent would be an ideal solution for you.

Seve

src2206
14th August 2006, 09:49 PM
Thank you Seve.