PDA

View Full Version : Help me please:(

srujanabobba
12th August 2006, 01:08 PM
Hai all,
I had fc4 and winxp on my pc.Later my windows got crashed and i cant install windows again on my harddisk.
Now,i went to repair option in windows xp cd and typed fixboot. It gave some message that it is successfully completed..
how ever,i cant install windows and now i cant get into linux also,it is giving that "Error loading Operating System":(
I had important data in fc4.I dont want to reinstall fc4 again.what to do now:(

jim
12th August 2006, 01:35 PM
load the first disc of fedora and type linux rescue after all the messages type chroot sysimage

seems grub needs to be reinstalled into the mbr again

you can do this with gurb install /dev/hda might not be the proper syntax

performing a search for re install grub will give the results Once you get booting into linux again, you ab edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf and repair the windows boot option if needed.

discuss
12th August 2006, 06:26 PM
my suggestion is :

Assume that you have 80 or 40 GB Harddisk.

1) You have to install again a fresh copy of Windows XP first in C: drive only. (Only in 40 GB of 80 GB hard disk. (50%))

Rest of the part make it as a unpartition do not make partition on it.

2) Now install Fedora Core 4 or 5 on and " Install on Existing place" of your Harddisk.

hope this will work perfectly...

cheers
discuss.teaching@gmail.com

discuss
12th August 2006, 06:27 PM
as far as important data is concerned, with the help of rescue disk you can try, i have never tried but it should work....

in this way you can reach to your data...

discuss

srujanabobba
13th August 2006, 06:42 AM
i am entering into rescue mode.and i typed grub-install....
i got
grub>
now to install grub, install <stage1> ......(and so on),i dont know where the stage1 grub file lies.

i am booting from cd.and when i am trying to mount it is not recognising...

wht to do now??

if i install fc5in the free space... then can i access the files which are there in fc4?

srujanabobba
13th August 2006, 02:39 PM
is there any command to detect cdrom name?