PDA

View Full Version : UCS2 or UCS4 in fc5 Python, Does it matter?

seltzer
11th August 2006, 06:15 PM
hello,
Ive recently run into problems trying to get vpython to work, and it seems to boil down to an issue of somethings being built with ucs2 support and some with ucs4 support or something. specificly boost isnt working, because it was installed with a different one supported (yum install boost, so i dont know which one),
and so i keep getting "Undefined Symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4* " errors.
Which one is used in fc5's python? which is better? does it matter which i choose? and is there any way when installing from rpms to make it go one way or the other if i need it to? or do i have to always install from source to make it match up?

thanks for the help,
felix.

Jman
15th August 2006, 03:13 PM
I don't see a vpython rpm out yet, how did you install it?

I imagine that to install it on a Fedora system you would need python-devel, numpy, and boost-devel packges installed to get vpython to work.

seltzer
16th August 2006, 03:00 AM
i had to install it all from source, or most of it.
gtkglarea-1.2.3.tar.gz
Imaging-1.1.5.tar.gz
numpy-1.0b1.tar.gz
(as well as numarray-1.5.1.tar.gz and Numeric-24.2.tar.gz, which i guess i didnt need)
I also installed python from source, Python-2.4.3.tgz, but thats mostly because i wanted it in a different place than's normal.
for boost, the rpm might be fine, but i found in some documentation or other that vpython didnt work when built against boost-1.33, so you have to download an older version. (i used 1.32)

i actualy just installed a fresh system, so ill keep better track of what makes it work and post again with a better how-to type thing.

-felix