PDA

View Full Version : How would I go towards doing this???

codvx87
11th August 2006, 07:29 AM
Port 113

Name:
auth / ident
Purpose:
Authentication Service / Identification Protocol

I know there is a way to stealth this port, and I have done it before with either a command, or with IPTables, I don't remember. Can someone show me how to stealth this port? thank you

wneumann
11th August 2006, 12:13 PM
You will get more replies with a more informative title to your post.

If you just want the port closed, it is already closed with the default fedora firewall.
If you want to change its behavior from REJECT to DROP then I think

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 113 -j REJECT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 113 -j REJECT

(as root) should do it for you. But you can rtm at "man iptables" to check for yourself.

codvx87
12th August 2006, 04:26 AM
Ever since I gto this damn DLINK router I cant block ping requests OR that port, no matter WHAT I do!

b_martinez
12th August 2006, 04:36 AM
Is there no way to get into the router itself and have it block the port. I use a 'network everywhere' labeled router and use firefox to get into it. the addy for the router is 192.168.1.1 . Maybe there is info in the tiny little book that comes with the router (the one that is supposed to be a 'manual' for it) that explains how to change the settings, like port forwarding and port blocking?
Maybe not. There is also information on the internet about the settings for some routers. I found the info on setting mine up when I went to the bittorrent wiki and follwed all the links. one was a page that explained how to set up different routers to allow port forwarding to work for bittorrent. I'll see if I can get the addy for you.
Bill

try here
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

wneumann
12th August 2006, 07:24 AM
If it is your router that is responding to port 113 and ping then that is where you need to fix it. But if you are trying to make yourself invisible to the world you are being paranoid. You don't do that in your daily life so why with your computer?

As in daily life, if you are not really foolish about security you will be secure enough. If you build a fortress around yourself you miss the freedom that a well-made OS like unix/linux can give you -- being able to securely access your stuff from anywhere in the world and not have to carry everything with you.