PDA

View Full Version : installing fedora core on a usb external hard drive

gntx21
11th August 2006, 02:58 AM
I'm having problems trying to install fedora core on a usb external hard drive. yes, i can boot from the usb hard drive, and have already set it up. what i'm having problems do is mounting the drive and installing it to the usb drive. if someone could tell me the steps (commands) to completing this task it would be greatly apreciated.

cypher543
11th August 2006, 04:57 AM
EDIT: Nasty things I said there, eh? Only a misunderstanding, sorry about that.

gntx21
11th August 2006, 07:54 PM
acutally i didn't send u spam i saw you helping someone else in a post similar and i thought you'd know, second your the only person i pmed about this, and third i accidently sent it 2x's cause i wasn't familiar with the forum but thanks for your help anyway!

cdlaforc
11th August 2006, 08:05 PM
Second, even if I did, I wouldn't tell you becuase I don't enjoy spam.

I think this response is taking it a little far especially with someone new to the forum, and I wouldn't consider a message or 2 requesting help from a forum spam.

cypher543
12th August 2006, 04:09 AM
I've lived with email spam for a very long time... I get a little over protective of my inbox, somtimes. Sorry about that, dude! :D

Anyway, about your question... I think a simple mount command should do it. There's a few topics about it around here relating to the same thing. I wish I could remember the command's syntax, but I've never used it. Sorry.

Geeze, I feel like an idiot now. I'm really sorry bout the whole thing. I get slightly angry at little things here and there, especially when I'm working on a program that doesn't do what I want it to. Sheesh... I need to learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes. ;) It was also becuase I though I had a "No support via PM" line in my sig. But that was on a different forum. *shrugs*

james419
12th August 2006, 09:25 PM
If you haven't done your install you have to boot the installation disk with "linux expert".
Do not use the "". When you install to USB I suggest that you do not use the default installation. It uses LVM which is a big problem when setting up the bootloader on USB. Install your bootloader on the MBR of the USB drive. After installation you will have to create a custom initrd to force the preload of the necessary drivers.

The command is:

mkinitrd --preload ehci-hcd --preload usb-storage --preload scsi_mod --preload sd_mod /boot/initrd-<kernel-version>.img <kernel-version>

Do a search of this forum about booting from USB before you start- there are many threads about this. One being

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108672

Also see: http://simonf.com/usb/

The last is a little outdated but is still the bible.