PDA

View Full Version : Installing Fedora 5 in MS Virtual PC

mrwacko
8th August 2006, 10:33 PM
I've been attempting to install Fedora 5 in MS Virtual PC, but every time I finish the standard instalation settings, the instalation process crashes. Here's the error:

"Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a missing repodata directory. Please ensure that your install tree has been correctly generated. failure: repodata/repomd.xml from anaconda: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try."

Space and RAM isn't an issue, as I've got 2 GB Ram and a 100 GB HD (90% empty). I've set my harddisk up so that there's a 40 GB partition for Windows, a 30 GB partition for data, and a 20 GB partition for Fedora. The Fedora partition contains the MS Virtual PC data (including the virtual PC file, and the virtual HD). If anyone needs more info, please let me know.

wintersm
8th August 2006, 11:45 PM
forget about ms virtual pc, it wont really run any linux properly, and its performance is not good..

try vmware server, its now free and supports linux much better..

mrwacko
9th August 2006, 06:34 AM
I've got multiple friends who manage to make it work fine on thier comps. Either way, what's free is free, so I'll look up vmware.

pparks1
9th August 2006, 07:14 AM
I concur with wintersm, vmware has FAR better support for Linux. in fact VMWare supports linux on the host and the guest side. MS doesn't support them anyplace.

I too managed to get FC5 running under Virtual PC 2004 and Virtual Server 2005 SR2, but the support for Linux in many other ways simply isn't there.

mrwacko
9th August 2006, 09:53 PM
I installed VMware Player, but every time I launch it, it complains about needing a virtual machine config file. It seems as though the only free part of the software is the actual software to run the virtual PC. Whats up with that?

wintersm
9th August 2006, 10:38 PM
vmware player only runs virtual machines, you need to download vmware server which is free..

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

you just have to register for a key, and download..

:)

OperatorOne
9th August 2006, 10:53 PM
I use VMWare to run my FC5 installation while I am at work (we are a Windoze shop). What I did was install VMWare on my Windows XP notebook, and at home, then I built a Virtual Machine on a 100gb USB hard drive I have, so now I have a portable FC5 Installation with 93gb of storage space. :D

MS virtual PC was garbage IMHO so I scrapped that about 12 hours after starting to goof with it. VMWare I had running in 5 minutes, my machine's HDD built in 5 more, and FC5 was running in 45 minutes. QEMU is supposed to be another good one, but I have no experience with this package. One suggestions I will make is NOT TO USE LVM with VMWare. I have no idea what the issue is, but I was unable to get it to work. So I manually created my partitions during installation, forcing them all to be primary, and it works fine. There are a few errors on boot, but I can't seem to find anything broken, so it must be a warning situation. <shrug>

Also: forgot to mention that, as stated above, VmWare works in both Linux and Windoze .So on my desktop at home, which is FC5, I am running a Windows XP VMWare machine with FC5 as my host OS so that I can access those few apps that I need to get to in Windows, when working from home.

Cheers