PDA

View Full Version : Software update slows internet

timeforsmilin
8th August 2006, 03:23 AM
I run FC5 server, hosting a few XP Pro computers. The server has a static IP address, and the windoze mahines get IP from a router. After updating a base install, some websites won't load. www.adobe.com loaded prior to the update. and I got the flash plugin, but it won't load now that the system has been updated. I've turned selinux off, tried with iptables off, and nothing makes a difference. I can ping google.com, load and search through google, but winehq.com won't load either. Name resolving works locally, and on the net, as sites will start to load, and then just stop.

I've searched here, and google, and tried everything suggested. Ipv6 is disabled both in Firefox and in the networking-scripts file. Localhost has no problem for swat or cups, and apache loads fine from other networked computers. Ethereal showed packet loss and missing packets. The routers are set to 1492 MTU and I think Fedora is set to 1463 or so.

Any ideas would be most welcome as I have been fighting with this one for a month now. I switched NICs, and that made no difference. Reinstalling was how I found that the updates are what took it out.

Thanks for any help with this!
Louis

lazlow
8th August 2006, 08:19 AM
Assuming you are running a 2.6.17 kernel try rolling it back to a 2.6.16 kernel. There is some issue with tcp_window(or something) in the 2.6.17 kernels. If that does clear up the problem, search the forum and there are a couple of work arounds/explanations.

lazlow

u-noneinc-s
8th August 2006, 08:30 AM
I have no problems loading most pages. I just tried www.adobe.com and it was dead, 65 - 70 seconds and it didn't load.
I wondered if maybe it was an ipv6 address an if I had ipv6 disabled in Firefox. I checked about:config and ipv6 was disabled.
I enabled it and tried again, and www.adobe.com loaded instantly.
Coincidence or ipv6?

lazlow
8th August 2006, 08:49 AM
The 2.6.17 kernel thing would only be certain pages too. But I do remember ipv6 slowing down pages in general when it was enabled, but not blocking pages completly(but then again I have to check if I tied my shoes). Run it for a week, post when problems show up and post back either way.

lazlow

ranfow
8th August 2006, 09:27 AM
I just tried http://www.adobe.com/ , and succeed after 3 minutes! I also work with kernel-2.6.17!
But I have another problem, my firefox can't install Adobe Flash Player, I install, and it said had complected, but the flash on the internet can't play, it still ask me to install this plugin.

u-noneinc-s
8th August 2006, 10:16 AM
It was coincidence. I just tried again, waited for 70 seconds and killed it (stopped the transfer), clicked the link again and it loaded in about 10 sec. ipv6 still enabled. I am also using a '17 kernel.
I will leave ipv6 enabled for a while and see if surfing is any slower.

EDIT: I just double checked about:config, and I see that what I did was I disabled ipv6, so I guess I'll leave it disabled and see if surfing is any faster (as some have claimed) ;)

timeforsmilin
8th August 2006, 02:07 PM
I jumped right from the 2.6.15 release kernel to 2.6.17-1.2157. I can choose the former with grub, and everything works fine. How do I get the 2.6.16 kernel? Is that something that I have to try and compile with all the options that I use? Since FC3, I've never run into this, so I'm rather stumped.

Thanks for your help!

lazlow
8th August 2006, 03:27 PM
Browse your favorite repo and fine the exact name of the kernel package. Then yum install exact package. I am running 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5smp.

Lazlow

timeforsmilin
8th August 2006, 03:48 PM
I found some at dave's, but I don't think the right one is there for me. There was a 586 and 686. I'm running a P4 1.6 plain old Intel processor, which I thought is an i386. I believe this to be the same problem that I have with the ati-fglrx driver, as it installed the 686 version, and opengl is pitiful. Is 686 for 64 bit processors?

Cheers,
Louis

lazlow
8th August 2006, 04:27 PM
Everthing after a PI(?) is i686. I386,586,686 will all run but only the i686 is optimized for the post pI cpus. A lot of things are written to .i386 for compatability reasons and becuase the optimization for those things is unnecessary.

lazlow

timeforsmilin
8th August 2006, 08:12 PM
I searched livna repo, and tried to get dave's, but no luck. I think it was finton-stanley that said not to mix repos, as that would give unexpected results.

lazlow
8th August 2006, 08:19 PM
Just for curiousity what is dave's?

Lazlow

timeforsmilin
8th August 2006, 08:21 PM
I think that's dave jones, who I also think is very involved with Fedora development.

timeforsmilin
8th August 2006, 09:13 PM
I think I added freshrpms.repo to yum.repos.d, but fedora won't load the website to browse it.

u-noneinc-s
8th August 2006, 09:23 PM
Use your browser, Click here (http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/5/i386/RPMS.freshrpms/), but there are no kernels there.

EDIT: In fact, I have not been able to find any anywhere except for the stock 2.6.15.2054 from core and the 2 latest 2.6.17's from updates

timeforsmilin
8th August 2006, 10:17 PM
I installed either a test or development kernel .2171. It still has the same problem. I used grub to select the release kernel, and enjoyed quick surfing long enough to download the other kernel. I tried yum to remove the previously update kernel, but must not have had something right, as all I got was an error.

Thanks for trying Lazlow!

timeforsmilin
9th August 2006, 12:35 AM
I found this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116747&highlight=tcp
which depicts the same poor connectivity.

Two of the "permanent" changes didn't work, but this
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
works everytime. The drawback is that it has to be issued after each reboot, but I was able to load adobe.com and sun.com both, but only after issung that command, so there must be more that it effects than sysctl.conf.

If anyone has an idea of other modules that it could effect, I am willing to try.

wshawn
10th August 2006, 03:55 AM
If they are using flash 8 then you may have problems. there is also an issue with text displaying properly in flash.

timeforsmilin
10th August 2006, 06:16 AM
I'm not sure if either of them is running that or not. I had trouble with ibm.com taking a long time to load as well, but it finally did, and it appeared to use animated gifs. Once I issue the command above, they all load very quickly. I can reboot, adobe.com won't load more than the favicon; stop it, retry with nothing more, issue that command, and it loads fully in 13 seconds.

I hardcoded the fixes mentioned, but the echo 0 command is the one that works.

Thanks for your thoughts though!
Louis