PDA

View Full Version : Installed Fedora Core 5 on Secondary SATA HD, Grub Won't Install

riomx
6th August 2006, 01:30 PM
Guys:

This is my first post here and from what I've seen, people are generally very helpful and have a good attitude.

I've been working on this installation since yesterday and after reading countless of articles online and trying different solutions mentioned in each of them, I've decided to ask for some active help.

I am using Windows 2000 on my primary IDE hard drive, and I've installed Fedora Core 5 without any issues on my secondary SATA hard drive.

After installation I booted off the CD again and tried to install GRUB, but it failed, returning an error saying that no kernel packages were installed and no changes to the boot loader would be made.

I read online to try and boot into rescue mode and run "grub-install /dev/sda1" from the command line. However, that didn't work either.

Though the binaries are physically on the system and I can actually locate them and see them with my own eyes, for one reason or other I receive the message "/usr/sbin/grub" not found.

I guess I'd like to know where I could go from here. I'm excited about using Fedora, but I won't be able to until I can actually boot into it !

Thanks in advance,

- Joe

PilotJLR
6th August 2006, 04:05 PM
Try this:
Boot to the Fedora CD/DVD, and type "linux rescue" as you did before. Once you get to a command prompt, type:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda

The previous command you have listed installs grub on the first PARTITION of sda, which is presumably Windows. You want GRUB on the master boot record, which is why you use /dev/sda for that.

After doing this, reboot and let us know if GRUB starts. If it does, you should have entries for both Fedora and Windows in there. By default, I think it calls Windows "Other" in grub, fyi.

riomx
6th August 2006, 08:19 PM
now i got a msg stating that the drive doesn't have a corresponding BIOS drive.

any ideas ?

riomx
6th August 2006, 09:14 PM
I got this message after trying to install Grub on /dev/hda, which is the master boot record of my IDE drive.

nincb123
7th August 2006, 12:22 AM
now i got a msg stating that the drive doesn't have a corresponding BIOS drive.

any ideas ?

Hmm..thats a tough one..Pilot's solution should have worked, rio. What I suggest you do, is to somehow find a grub bootdisk and try to install from there...maybe that will work?

riomx
7th August 2006, 03:39 AM
Hmm..thats a tough one..Pilot's solution should have worked, rio. What I suggest you do, is to somehow find a grub bootdisk and try to install from there...maybe that will work?

Maybe. But if Grub is too much trouble perhaps I can just go with LILO.

Does anyone here know how to set up LILO for Fedora 5 ?

If that works, then I can use the GAG bootloader instead.

Firewing1
7th August 2006, 03:50 AM
Maybe. But if Grub is too much trouble perhaps I can just go with LILO.

Does anyone here know how to set up LILO for Fedora 5 ?

If that works, then I can use the GAG bootloader instead.
I don't think LILO works in FC5.

I've gotten that message before, too - And there's usually two things that can go wrong:
(1) It really doesn't have a BIOS device.
(2) You're in a chroot.

First, check your BIOS and make sure that the SATA drive is the primary slave - that way you know it really does have a BIOS device.

Then, make sure you're not in a chroot - eg "chroot /mnt/sysimage". That will also cause GRUB to go funny.
Firewing1