PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Code 4 - Creating A Second User Setup

IXL
3rd August 2006, 12:43 PM
Hi.

Im very green to Linux, but I am persistant.

What I want to Achieve:

Ideally, I just want a simple web and FTP server to run at my gaming LANs. I also want to install a simple phpbb2 forum on it.

The Install so far :

Ive installed FC4 command-line version, updated it (to 03/AUG/06) installed Webmin 1.90 (from memory I think its 1.90, its the latest anyway to date.)

What the problem is so far:

I cant work out how to properly set up a second user (ie not root) who has the same access level so I can ftp to the server from my normal pc (im using Smartftp) and have writeable access. Im really quite confused by groups and users. :confused:

Can anyone help explain how to set up such a user? I'll come back to the other points if I get stuck.

Thanks in Advance.

IXL

IXL
6th August 2006, 10:09 AM
I guess knowone knows then? :(

u-noneinc-s
6th August 2006, 11:08 AM
Do you mean another user that has the same priveleges as root? Do you already have an account for root AND an account for yourself without roots priveleges or do you only have an account for root. If you have a regular user account, you just need to do su - and supply root password and YOU can do root tasks (without having to login as root. You can also set up sudo. you need to use the command visudo to edit the sudoers file.The sudoers file looks something like this
# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the sudoers man page for the details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
(examples)
username ALL=(ALL) ALL #will give you permission to run all tasks with your password
username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL #same as above without needing a password (not the recommended method. Easy to ruin your system this way)
username ALL=commandname #will let you run only specified commands with your password)
# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
# %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Same thing without a password
# %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

# Samples
# %users ALL=/sbin/mount /cdrom,/sbin/umount /cdrom
# %users localhost=/sbin/shutdown -h now

read man visudo to make sure I got the syntax correct

Edit: If you are not familiar with vi, vimtutor will give you some quick basics. You must use visudo to edit the file. After you start visudo, type i to enter insert mode (-- INSERT -- will appear in the bottom left corner). Type in your information then press esc to leave insert mode (-- INSERT --will disappear from the bottom).
Then typt a : (a : will appear at the bottom left) Then type wq and hit enter (this is the vi command fore wrote and quit. If you think you made a mistake and are not sure what to do type q! and hit enter (instead of wq) and this will quit without writing and close the editor so you can start from the begining.

u-noneinc-s
6th August 2006, 11:21 AM
Also you must be root to visudo so do the su - hit enter supply root password enter then visudo. exit will drop you out of su - session

IXL
6th August 2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks lads.

I only have the root account, which is why I need to create a new user.

I want to create new user account with the same privilages as root.

I'll give this a try.