PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Veranda Font?

sgware
2nd August 2006, 11:01 AM
I was a big fan of the font "Verdana" under windows. Is there anywhere I can get and install that for Linux? I'm new, so if there's anything complicated involved, please point me to a good tutorial.

Seve
2nd August 2006, 11:12 AM
Hello:
You can find that and more here: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installfonts
Seve

sgware
2nd August 2006, 09:57 PM
Perfect! There was an easy package for getting all the default windows fonts too, which was ever better. Thanks again Seve!

sgware
3rd August 2006, 02:43 AM
I have another question closely related to this one...

In Windows, the default font was nice and simple... it wasn't pretty, but it was crisp and was a good deal easier on my eyes than the GNOME defult. Does anyone know what font Windows uses as a default and (sorry if this is bad form) how I can get GNOME to use it instead of whatever font is currently set as the default?

Wayne
3rd August 2006, 02:48 AM
I have another question closely related to this one...

In Windows, the default font was nice and simple... it wasn't pretty, but it was crisp and was a good deal easier on my eyes than the GNOME defult. Does anyone know what font Windows uses as a default and (sorry if this is bad form) how I can get GNOME to use it instead of whatever font is currently set as the default?

I think it was the Tahoma font but I'd have to switch on the family PC to check. Also, if you look around you can find the Segui UI font that will be used in Vista if/when it ships :D

Edit:

In the repos there's a pre-release of the DejaVu fonts which is apparantly the succesor to the Bitstream fonts.

Edit 2:

I think you meant the 'Verdana' font, I usually sit on the veranda with a cold brew :D

Wayne

sgware
3rd August 2006, 05:26 AM
Heh, oops.

So if it is Tahoma, is there any way to make Fedora use that instead of whatever it uses by default? Or even just Firefox? I don't really mind if Fedora keeps using it... but I would really like to use the Windows default font in Firefox... the Linux default hurts my eyes.

Wayne
3rd August 2006, 12:47 PM
Heh, oops.

So if it is Tahoma, is there any way to make Fedora use that instead of whatever it uses by default? Or even just Firefox? I don't really mind if Fedora keeps using it... but I would really like to use the Windows default font in Firefox... the Linux default hurts my eyes.

If you're using Gnome change your font preferences from the panel menu. KDE has a similar setting somewhere for display fonts.

I'm not sitting on the veranda tonight, too many mosquitoes! :D

Wayne