PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Windows partitions for dual-boot

nfurlong
2nd August 2006, 01:16 AM
If I'm going to resize my existing Windows partitions to make room for Linux in dual-boot mode, do I need to shift the FAT32 partition "upward" so that my Linux /boot partition starts at the beginning of the drive? What else needs to be in a particular place on the drive? If nothing, then can I just add a second drive for Linux and leave the entire Windows (primary) drive alone to make dual-boot work?

Thanks!

Seve
2nd August 2006, 02:50 AM
If nothing, then can I just add a second drive for Linux and leave the entire Windows (primary) drive alone to make dual-boot work?

Thanks!
Hello:
In a word yes, it should work fine.
Seve

nfurlong
2nd August 2006, 10:53 PM
If I made a /windows partition, which can be seen by both Linux and Windows, do I make it Fat32 or ext3?

THanks!

r1348
2nd August 2006, 11:00 PM
FAT32 is natively supported by both the systems, there's an ext3 driver for Windows too somewhere, Google for it!

jsdewey
2nd August 2006, 11:37 PM
FAT32 is natively supported by both the systems, there's an ext3 driver for Windows too somewhere, Google for it!

This (http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html) is what he is talking about.

rappermas
3rd August 2006, 01:27 AM
FAT32 is best for sharing data, almost everything supports it. Linux can only read NTFS directly and that's if you install the software for it or recompile the kernel with NTFS support. Writing is still somewhat experiment, so stick with FAT32 and you'll go places!