PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 5 install why?

billpool
31st July 2006, 12:52 AM
I've got my laptop set up for dualboot with windowss xpsp2 and Fedora5. Theinstall of Fedora seemed to go alright but I am noticing that little or nothing of KDE made it to the system. I thought bith Gimp and KDE were supposed to install so I could chose the config I wanted to use. I've gone to the masters and copied all the KDE RPM stuff to a separate CD. Question, should I reinstall or just use the RPM's and insstall them? If I do the RPM'd id there a dependency sequence I should use for that?

TIA
bill
:confused:

lazlow
31st July 2006, 01:01 AM
You are much better off using yum to install just about everything. It will check for dependancys, etc.
man yum
yum install gimp
yum install kde ( I use gnome so I am not sure)

u-noneinc-s
31st July 2006, 01:06 AM
yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
Include the quotes

SlowJet
31st July 2006, 01:08 AM
Gimp is a image tool, I think you mean Gnome (which is the default desktop)

All you need to do is run the add / remove software tool at the bottom of the Gnome Application menu.
Put you CD or dvd in the drive first (and there may be some trick to get it to point there?
Then go thru the option to install KDE (kdebase and KDE media) from the CD.

After that you can update as needed with yum in a root term

Conservitive aproach
yum update package pacakage2

or

copy down specific rpms from the mirrors and then do
rpm -UVh rpm1 rpm 2

but better to do

yum update localupdate /myrpmdir/*rpm

The edge of Gnomereturm ;)
yum -y update --exclude=ypbind
reboot

SJ

billpool
31st July 2006, 01:49 AM
Gimp is a image tool, I think you mean Gnome (which is the default desktop)

All you need to do is run the add / remove software tool at the bottom of the Gnome Application menu.
Put you CD or dvd in the drive first (and there may be some trick to get it to point there?
Then go thru the option to install KDE (kdebase and KDE media) from the CD.

After that you can update as needed with yum in a root term

Conservitive aproach
yum update package pacakage2

or

copy down specific rpms from the mirrors and then do
rpm -UVh rpm1 rpm 2

but better to do

yum update localupdate /myrpmdir/*rpm

The edge of Gnomereturm ;)
yum -y update --exclude=ypbind
reboot

SJ

Absolutely right and now you can see just the size of Linux deck I'm using.... :rolleyes:

Thanks to you and all the other repliers. Gosh, all this even before I logged off from posting the question, What A System!

Thanks again
Take Care
bill
:)

billpool
31st July 2006, 08:07 AM
Well folks, just a short note for closure and to say all;s better in smallsville now. Thanks for the ideas. I experimented with many and no luck so gave up the ghost and did a whole 'nuther install. Serves me right cause it turns out the problem was what we used to call a Delta Sierra (self inflicted) problem.

In the early part of the install this time when offerfed an opportunity to customize the install now or do it later, I picked now. What a change! I even had a cchance to not selectGnome orKDE, greedy I took both.
Thanks again
bill
:)