PDA

View Full Version : Boot-up troubles

jonrobenator
24th July 2006, 04:42 PM
Have been running FC5 for a while now (and really enjoying it...great release!!). But it crashed the other day and I was forced to reboot, now, unfortunately I can no longer boot the system. The kernel unpacks but it fails when mounting "root", at which points the kernel panics and fails to sync. Any suggested fixes would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks,

markjensen
24th July 2006, 04:48 PM
This is very odd, indeed.

You might need to boot from a LiveCD and check your volume labels (I believe that Fedora assigns partitions by label, if I am not mistaken).

It obviously installed and booted the first time. Sounds like you have a drive corruption, or something was changed from then to now.

jonrobenator
24th July 2006, 07:03 PM
What would I check for specifically? I think it is likely a hardware problem because I've seen it happen to me before. My previous solution was just to reinstall but this time I want to understand and try and fix it.

markjensen
24th July 2006, 07:28 PM
Boot Knoppix, and do an fdisk -l (that is a lowercase letter "L", not the number one). I believe that it will report the labels, along with the partition size/location information. If not, Knoppix also includes qtparted, which I know will display label information.