PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card Troubles

wjdearborn
5th April 2004, 06:21 PM
As a new linux user I have come up against a problem.

During installation of FC1 from DVD the system could not detect my Sound Card. Then later when I used the Sound Card Detection function it reported a Sound Card from Vendor: Intel Corp, Model: 82801EB AC'97 Audio Controller, Module: i810_audio. When I attempted to <Play a Sound> I received the following error message: "The i810_audio driver could not be loaded. This sound card may not be compatible with Red Hat Linux".

This is a dual boot system with an Intel D865PERL motherboad, and the Sound System works fine on the other OS.

Question: Is there something I am doing wrong, not doing or not understanding? I wonder about attempting to use ALSA, but the compatibility listing is confusing since there is no mention of an 82801EB .

Any direction, or assistance that would help me find my way to getting the Sound System functioning would be appreicated.

Thank-you

tchung
5th April 2004, 06:47 PM
I have Dell Precision 360n Workstation which also comes with Built-in 82801EB AC'97 Audio Controller.

# lspci | grep Audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

Have you read my article?
"How to install DKMS ALSA Packages for Fedora"
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/dkms/

I hope it helps. :)

Thomas

wjdearborn
6th April 2004, 10:40 PM
Thank you for the direction. I received exactly the same results from the command: lspci | grep Audio

I have worked through all the steps according the article on FedoraNews.org "How to install DKMS ALSO Packages for Fedora" and still have silence.

I have tested with aplay and with xmms, and adjusted all the settings in the gnome-alsamixer.
Any suggestions as to where to turn now? What to check? What to read?

wjdearborn
7th April 2004, 01:46 AM
I have done further research...

While the Manual for the Intel D865PERL board spoke only of the Intel 82801 EB I/O Controller and the AD1985 audio Codec. The Intel website talks about SoundMax4 XL featuring Flexible 6 Channel Audio with Jack Sensing.

Also Intel appears to have drivers for Red Hat 9 and Red Hat 8, but not Fedora. So my question has become which of RH8 or RH9 would be the best to try with FC1?

And then my newbie questions:
Do I need to remove ALSA (which I just installed) and if so how is that done?
How do I install the Intel provided drivers?:confused: