PDA

View Full Version : Any way to allow VNC w/o login

turboEDvo
24th July 2006, 06:44 AM
Hi there. I'm just curious to know if there is a way to allow a remote VNC connection to my server without logging in. I have SSH setup but it would be nice to have access to the gui for a few things.

Thanks
Eamon

james968
24th July 2006, 07:27 AM
If you are logging in via ssh and your client machine has an XWindows Server (i.e. it can run X Apps). You can enable X11 tunnelling. This will allow you to start Xapps (like nautilus, gnome-term, evolution, etc) and tunnel them via ssh.

wneumann
24th July 2006, 02:24 PM
Not clear what you want to do. You can create a vnc session to log in to with vncserver and if you are crazy you can set it up without a password, so you (or anyone else) can connect "without logging in". Is this what you meant? The desktop that vncserver creates is independent of any desktop you have created by physically logging in at your machine. You can have it running until you reboot, available for connection at any time. But you should password protect it, and safest is to make it only accessible via a ssh tunnel.

Alternatively the gnome remote desktop will give access to your root desktop which therefore has to exist (so you have to have logged in to create it). You can also -- again if you are crazy -- make that accessible without a password so you can connect remotely "without logging in"

turboEDvo
24th July 2006, 04:11 PM
I was just trying to find out if I could have VNC display my login screen. But, if I can tunnel X, then it shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll just do that.

Thanks.
Eamon

Firewing1
24th July 2006, 04:28 PM
You can do this very easily - See my Server Setup howto, there's a VNC section and it sets up just this.
Firewing1

fedorange
24th July 2006, 04:53 PM

Firewing1
24th July 2006, 04:55 PM
Don't worry, I've read those...
I've asked Ewdi, he said it was OK to link to my site.

Besides, that link isn't to sell you anything - That's where my 3 open-source program are hosted. If you want to see for youself, it's under Products > Open Source Software.

Firewing1

fedorange
24th July 2006, 04:58 PM
No, you should not abuse your community manager status. Open source or not, it is still advertising. Please remove the advertising.

Firewing1
24th July 2006, 05:05 PM
I'm not abusing it, just as it said in the guidelines I asked Ewdi for permission, and it's fine. I did the same that anyone else would have had to, there was no 'special exception' because I'm a moderator.

Beond that, it's providing the open-source community with three programs that are under the GPL and can be used freely by all. No crime there.

Well, let's get back on topic and help troubleshoot the VNC problem - If you'd like to further discuss this, please PM me...

Firewing1

turboEDvo
24th July 2006, 05:30 PM
Cool, thanks. I'll check that out when I get home.

Eamon