PDA

View Full Version : choppy firefox

sleetm
22nd July 2006, 11:00 PM
im having some issues with firefox. sometimes its choppy when it scrolls down and sometimes some components of pages are slow (such as bungie.net, move mouse over anything on the bottom and a bar moves). also, i have mplayer integrated video and soemtimes the video loses sync and the video and sound are out of sync. any suggestions? thanks.

The_Jester
22nd July 2006, 11:02 PM
What graphics card do you have?

gtr225
22nd July 2006, 11:38 PM
Usually Firefox is always slow for some reason.

The_Jester
22nd July 2006, 11:41 PM
If he has a slow processor and isnt using direct rendering then his 'experience' will suck. Download the livna repo and do either

ATI:

yum install kmod-fglrx

nVidia:

yum install kmod-nvidia

sleetm
23rd July 2006, 07:26 PM
my processor does suck, it is a celeron. i have ATI and installed the fglrx, but in startup i see that there was some sort of error with it working but the message disappears quickly and i cant read it

sleetm
28th July 2006, 12:17 AM
bump... any more ideas on how to make firefox less choppy? im on a 3.2 ghz celeron with a ati mobility, a crap combination

Wayne
28th July 2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks to Alex Grim for pointing this out. There is a third-party Firefox RPM that for me is more responsive than the official build. I notice it when I'm switching tabs mostly! Not only that but it the latest 1.5.0.5 version!

Use it at your own risk :-)

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?postid=578311#poststop

Wayne

28th July 2006, 09:47 AM
thank you for mentioning that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it has been annoying me for soooooooooooooo long.

Kudos to mtl2002

Wayne
28th July 2006, 09:53 AM
bump... any more ideas on how to make firefox less choppy? im on a 3.2 ghz celeron with a ati mobility, a crap combination

You're kidding, right? I'm on a Celeron Tualatin 1.4Ghz with 512Mb RAM and an ATI Rage Mobility with 8Mb memory. You can't get much crappier than that!

:D

Edit:

On second thoughts, you can! My son is using a Compaq PII 800/256Mb RAM and a 4Mb video card, can't remember what it is though :)

He's not a heavy user, looking up homework assignments, etc, but he has no problems with Firefox. I haven't updated him yet to the version I mentioned in another post. I'll do it tomorrow if I don't have too much of a hangover. Friend who lives in Singapore is coming here on his way back from Korea just to go out drinking together!

Wayne

sleetm
29th July 2006, 09:43 PM
ok i updated firefox from that rpm, and although i tried i couldnt save the plugins (mplayer embedded, java, etc..). i tried going to the SF install notes and using those commands to installl the plugins, but they say they are already installed (but its not working?) any suggestionss?

Ex:
[root@localhost sean]# rpm -Uvh *.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package mplayerplug-in-3.25-1.lvn5 (which is newer than mplayerplug-in-3.25-1.fc5) is already installed

Thanks to Alex Grim for pointing this out. There is a third-party Firefox RPM that for me is more responsive than the official build. I notice it when I'm switching tabs mostly! Not only that but it the latest 1.5.0.5 version!

Use it at your own risk :-)

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?postid=578311#poststop

Wayne