PDA

View Full Version : how to format

steppenwolfUSA
22nd July 2006, 09:49 PM
i want to format a drive that had linux on it so it can run both in duel

is there some file like fdisk on the linux disc?

FedoraUK
22nd July 2006, 09:56 PM
yes, and it's called fdisk. :)

/sbin/fdisk

Jongi
22nd July 2006, 11:36 PM
I assume you mean that you want to share a harddrive between XP and Linux.

I'd install XP first. I can't remember what the XP partition tool is like. But I seem to remember you can delete existing partitions. If you can, I suspect there should be an option to partition the space. Decide how much you want to allocate to XP and how much to XP. I would personally have an ntfs, a FAT32 and a linux partition. Install XP into the ntfs. After you've installed XP I would then install FC.

You might want some of the steps fleshed out. Just say.

steppenwolfUSA
23rd July 2006, 12:26 AM
i was going to use windows 98

thanks

Firewing1
23rd July 2006, 12:39 AM
You can use the Gparted LiveCD then - Google it, it'll come up first thing... You'll want to make a FAT32 for Win98, install Win98, and then install Fedora. Don't pre-partition Fedora's part, it'll do it for you.
Firewing1

steppenwolfUSA
23rd July 2006, 01:31 AM
its 30 mb ?why so large?i have dial up

can i just use msdos-fdisk if i had linux on the drive solely?

thanks

Jongi
23rd July 2006, 01:39 AM
30GB? or 30MB?

Firewing1
23rd July 2006, 04:15 AM
30MB - I use it too... Believe me, for a LiveCD 30MB is damn small! Knoppix, a Live CD / DVD distro reaches about 700 MB for the CD and 4 GB DVD!
Firewing1

steppenwolfUSA
23rd July 2006, 06:02 PM
i guess i could do it but sometimes i get disconnected

im interested in the nature on msdos vs linux dos..does it use dos?

can msdos override all this linux dos if you want to revert ?

will fdisk and format work ok?

on a drive i had red hat 7 i had the damnest time erasing it- i had to format with a windows xp disc and delete the partions and then redo with a win98 bootup disc

so now that i have win98 on that 13 gig drive i really cant do a duel boot except with some extra program?

theres some link on the wikipedia site under duel boot i think

cypher543
23rd July 2006, 06:08 PM
im interested in the nature on msdos vs linux dos..does it use dos?
Linux doesn't use DOS. DOS is a Microsoft thing. You could try downloading a MSDOS 6.22 floppy image that has FDISK on it and then writing that to a floppy. FDISK should work for what you want. But, like the others said, don't give Fedora it's own partition yet. The install will do that for you.

steppenwolfUSA
23rd July 2006, 06:17 PM
i almost typed here that i heard dos 6.2 is more powerful than windows 98 dos

i have windows 3.1 and dos6.2 discs and almost used it

this other computer is sort of experiment with win98 and maybe knoppix version i have in a 2005 book
i have fedora 5 on anther computer

so now that windows 98 is on and i have an extra partition left over it really wont work for knoppix or linspire if i chose that?

im new to linux and know very little

thanks

steppenwolfUSA
23rd July 2006, 06:19 PM
30GB? or 30MB?

on dial up even 30 mb is hard at times if i get disconnected

whats the largest download you have done?

a lot of times my downloads are corrupted

cypher543
23rd July 2006, 07:39 PM
on dial up even 30 mb is hard at times if i get disconnected
I know what you mean. I used to have dialup and it was horrible. Especially since I do a lot of downloading and web design. But I upgraded to satellite about a month ago. If nothing else is available, you should really check out satellite. It works almost anywhere in the world.

Firewing1
23rd July 2006, 07:39 PM
The absolute largest? The ~2.5 GB for the Fedora installs... But then again, I'm high-speed lol
Firewing1

shadowspawn
23rd July 2006, 08:53 PM
Semi related question.
I installed FC5 on my PC and let it format its own partition - now the tools such as Partition Magic in Win XP and GParted & QTParted can not recognise the format.

The Set Up I have is a little odd and not quite what I had in mind- but it is working.

I have a 120GB disc with
-101MB ext3 partition labeled /boot (/dev/hda1)
5.27 GB partition (/dev/hda2)

and a mirrored raid
with a 48GB partition (/dev/sda2 & /dev/sdb2)

Nautilus tells me that I have 40.8 GB free and I am not sure if I am using hda2 & teh raid partition or the Raid only.

Can anyone explain what is happening - or how to find out?

ALSO
I want to reconfigure the system slightly and place /Home on a seperate drive that I am about to add - is this a case of just copying accross the existing /Home files and then re-mounting the new drive as /Home?

Thanks in advance

Firewing1
24th July 2006, 02:18 AM
If you let Fedora configure it on your own, then it's made LVM which is why partitioners can't recognize it. I would reformat from scratch, but use 'custom' partition setup during the installer so that you can make your own /boot (always first, about 100MB), / and /home (whatever you like, really, they just have to exist. I recommend a 7GB /.)

As for RAID if you're mirroring, then you're only using one drive and the other you can't use - It's identical to the other incase something goes wrong. To use both, you'll want striping. But then you can't recover your data simply by swapping drives as you can in mirroring.
Firewing1

steppenwolfUSA
28th July 2006, 03:09 PM
this gparted thing has fdisk type thing on it?what all is on it?

steppenwolfUSA
28th July 2006, 05:05 PM
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-livecd-0.2.5-2.iso?download

thats it?
maybe it will work-how do i use it?

Firewing1
2nd August 2006, 06:10 AM
Yup, that's it - Just download that and then use K3B to burn it as a CD Image. From there, pop that newly burnt CD into your CDROM drive (the top one if you have 2) and then reboot your PC. It should start form the CD and you'll be able to format your hard drives.
Firewing1