PDA

View Full Version : Bootloaders what gives with this or wheres my grub!!!

jimp
22nd July 2006, 03:14 PM
Ok I need to build a driver for an older kernel so I download FC1 and install, everything went smoothly, even asked if I wanted to add my ntfs partition to the boot menu and I changed the label from dos to winxp. when it booted for the first time it never occurred to me that I didnít get a choice of what os to load, just booted right into fedora. Next I needed to upgrade the fedora kernel to the one I need to build my driver on so I download the sources and do all the makes and menus and configs and installs then reboot
and type uname -a but Iím still running the original kernel (still hasnít occurred to me I have never seen a boot menu) so I go to /boot/grub/grub.config thinking I need to add the new kernel but when I look its already all set up for me, thatís when I notice the winxp label that was added at install and I realize this thing has never given me a boot menu. So what is going on? I guess I'm using lilo to boot but I donít see a lilo.conf in etc but there is a lilo.conf.anaconda file so I edit this to include my new kernel as a boot option and then try to run lilo but get command not found!
So what do I need to do here? What is booting my system?

daneel971
22nd July 2006, 03:45 PM
comment the "hiddenmenu" and "timeout" entries in grub.conf adding a # at the beginnong of each line, or just hit "esc" at boot.

jimp
22nd July 2006, 04:05 PM
comment the "hiddenmenu" and "timeout" entries in grub.conf adding a # at the beginnong of each line, or just hit "esc" at boot

well I don't see a hiddenmenu and my time out was set at 10 but I upped it to 30 which means I should get 30 seconds at the menu to choose which entry to boot but I don't get the menu. Here is my grub.conf

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=30
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.4.32)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.32 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi rhgb
initrd /initrd-2.4.32.img
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi rhgb
initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
title WinXP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

The way I see it , even if the menu was hidden with this setup it would default to my new kernel and boot it, that is if it is grub thatís booting, or at least if grub is using this conf file to do so.

Any other ideas?

jimp
22nd July 2006, 04:19 PM
Well I donít know what happened but I just tried to reboot to see if I could catch the name of the bootloader and sure enough it was grub, then immediately after I got a boot screen!!! Oh well at least its working now.
Thanks

microchip
22nd July 2006, 04:21 PM
The way I see it , even if the menu was hidden with this setup it would default to my new kernel and boot it, that is if it is grub thatís booting, or at least if grub is using this conf file to do so.

Any other ideas?

Did you made an initial ramdisk for your new kernel?

microchip
22nd July 2006, 04:26 PM
You could try /sbin/grub-install.... be careful though !