PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.5.0.1 connect issues

earlg9a
22nd July 2006, 02:00 PM
I am an experienced Windows XP user, new to Linux. I installed Fedora core 5, on a spare computer.
Firefox is able to connect to the default links in the personal tool bar (Latest Release Notes, Fedora Project, Community Support etc.), It seems to be able to connect to Mozilla sites through "the get more extensions" link, but if I try anything else, the connection times out. (MSN, Google, Drudge report etc)
I have looked the firewall settings in System>Administration>Security Level & Firewall and am not sure what to do.

My configuration is as follows:
Hardware: Compaq Presario model 5834, Intel Celeron Coppermine, 566Mhz, Intel 810 Chipset, With a Western Digital 8GB hard drive.
I am connecting to the Internet through a Netgear ethernet adapter, and an Actiontec GT701-WG DSL modem.

Software:
Firefox 1.5.0.1 (came with Fedora core 5)
Fedora Core 5 fresh install (No other operating systems are on the drive) The Gnome desktop is installed, KDE is not.

Internet Connection:
The ISP is QWEST with MSN preimum.
My Windows XP computer is able to connect to this modem just fine using Firefox, I am able to access the gateway on the Actiontec by typing in the IP address in the URL, so I can see the status and settings of the DSL modem.
It seems to me it should be a firewall problem or web coding, cookie problem but I am at a loss.

Seve
22nd July 2006, 02:39 PM
Hello:
In FC5 check your /etc/hosts file and see if it contains any entries other than the default 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
Other than that perhaps rebooting your modem and or router and in FF under Edit/Preferences/Privacy/ Clear the cache.
Seve

earlg9a
22nd July 2006, 07:43 PM
Thank you very much for your willingness to help. It is greatly appreciated :)

Here is the contents of the /etc/hosts file:

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Between the last post and now, I also ran an update:
Went to terminal
typed su -
typed yum -y update
I was able to download updates through this DSL connection...
rebooted several hours later
The symptoms did not change.

I can talk to my Actiontec DSL modem by typing it's IP address in Firefox URL window, thru the ethernet connection. I can look at it's routing table, LAN and WAN IP addresses. The DSL modem is in mode PPPoA, DHCP.

Here is an odd thing about the modem:
I have 3 computers connected to this modem. Office (Windows XP thru the USB); Laptop computer(Windows XP thru the wireless); and this Linux computer (Fedora 5 thru the ethernet) But I dont see the Linux computer listed - eventhough I am obviously talking to the modem. I can ping test the modem and it passes.

Sorry for the idle ramblings, but I am hoping that maybe I touch on an area that might be helpful toward a solution.

Seve
22nd July 2006, 08:48 PM
Hello:
Not familiar with your modem or your ISP? Just wondering if each of your boxes have their own IP and does your ISP allow that many? I am assuming that you do not have a router between the PCs and the Dsl modem?
If you disconnect one of your Win boxes..leaving only 2 connected and reboot your modem and reboot each of your 2 boxes does it change anything?
You may also want to disble the ipv6 protocol in FC5 as some ISPs are unable / have difficulty resolving the web addresses. You can do this in FF by typing about:config and filtering for ipv6
Also, you log in a root [su - password]in FC5 and open a terminal and type gedit /etc/modprobe.conf and add
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off
leave a carriage return at the end and save, exit and restart you network.

Dunno, perhaps someone else can chime in
Seve

earlg9a
22nd July 2006, 09:08 PM
My Actiontec DSL modem is a router or gateway. I have had no problem with connecting the two windows XP computers simultaneously. I have tried it when the laptop is turned off.
In an earlier experiment (I have spent last couple weeks trying to get Fedora installed with good stability) I had KDE desktop installed, so I had the option of using Konqueror. Konqueror would work properly, and Firefox would not ;/
I am not entirely sure, but windows networking usually requires a windows computer name, I don't think Linux does this.
It's a real head scratcher. I will try your suggestions and let you know the outcome.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH :)