PDA

View Full Version : advice for new linux users

steppenwolfUSA
21st July 2006, 07:34 PM
i wonder if its best to get a external hardrive /dvddrive case and use that?

ive never had one but can i leave a hardrive in computer with windows xp on it and try the linux on the usb external case drive until i learn all this stuff and alternate by switching bootup in bios?

pparks1
21st July 2006, 07:45 PM
Another suggestion is to download VMWare. The VMWare server product is now free and will give you the opportunity to use a virtual Linux machine in a window on your Windows host until you feel comfortable enough to make the decision to use Linux full time.

You will need a pretty beefy box to get very good peformance, but when you are just learning, it's so nice to just be able to play without wreaking any havoc on your existing setup.

So, using the virtualization products is my first recommendation. Using a second computer if you have one available is my second recommendation and dual booting a box (or using a second physical drive and swapping) is my third recommendation.

Welcome aboard.

steppenwolfUSA
21st July 2006, 07:49 PM
i need one download for vmware?
i was trying to do that but cant find it

im confused

martin.sourada
21st July 2006, 08:40 PM
i need one download for vmware?
i was trying to do that but cant find it

im confused

I'm just starting using it under linux to get windows work on it :D so if you want a link here it is: VMware free virtualization (http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html). VMware Player is good when you already have a virtual appliance. There are many to choose (ubuntu, kubuntu, Fedora 5, Fedora 6 test1 - I'm going to try it ;) -, ...). They can be downloaded form here: Virtual apliances (http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/cat/45) . VMware Server is good if you want to create your own virtual computer and install the guest operating system wholly by yourself. Then you also will need installation CDs/DVDs.

Linux_Weary
21st July 2006, 08:47 PM
Also are you aware of a thing called partitioning? VMware is only good if you have the video and memory to spare. Like 1gb ram, 128mb video would be minimum, but dont expect to play 3d accelerated games cause it wouldnt be fun.

If you don't have that kind of hardware you simply install linux after your winxp installation and it gives you the option when you start up to boot either windows or linux. If your drive is completely formatted in ntfs search for an ntfs resizer to get some space on your disk to install linux on.

martin.sourada
21st July 2006, 09:01 PM
Well, I just wanna install Win98 or Win2k on it and not for gaming or like things. Just IE6 for testing webpages and going to my bank and so forth. I tried bochs but I have some problem with it - Win98 didn't worked very well - in fact I couldn't download anything and had problems with keyboard mapping - so I decided to try VMware. Also I would like to have a look on FC6 test1, and I don't wanna install it on computer...

rappermas
21st July 2006, 09:02 PM
VMWare workstation 5.5 is what I use. It's good, in the sense that I can do anything with it. Currently, in the Workstation, I have Windows XP 64 bit, Ubuntu, Fedora, FreeBSD (finally figured it out), and Debian running. It's close to running out of physical RAM (I have 2 Gigs).

Vmware would be good to try out Linux. It will run at near native speed with Vmware tools installed. Just don't expect it to blow you away. Linux does wonders when it's actually driving, not being virtualized.

But to learn and get comfortable with it, that's just the thing.

steppenwolfUSA
21st July 2006, 09:46 PM
i heard a hardrive for usb wont work too well

rappermas
21st July 2006, 10:45 PM
Generally, USB HD's won't be as fast...but they work. Still, solid state disks...DROOL

steppenwolfUSA
22nd July 2006, 07:49 AM
http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

i need the player or the server?

steppenwolfUSA
22nd July 2006, 08:01 AM
http://register.vmware.com/content/download.html

that ?and its 100 mb download?on dialup no thanks

pparks1
22nd July 2006, 01:35 PM
You don't need the player, when you have the server product installed.

But yes, the VMWare server product is over 100MB, so if you are on dialup...that's probably not an option.