PDA

View Full Version : USB Hard Drives

AcornTech
21st July 2006, 06:27 PM
I am in the market for a USB Hard Drive that would be intended to serve as the primary backup for my network (3 PC's). I am running Fedora 5, with Gnome as the UI. Also, I have a Linux guy who would know how to install any necessary drivers.
I would be looking for capacity of 250 GB or larger.
Bells and Whistles are not important; Reliability is.
If possible it would be desirable to be able to schedule backups so that they happen passively. The idea would be that data from my Windows PC's would be archived to my Linux machine, and thus gets backed in the manner described. I would plan on procuring 2 or 3 drives to use in rotation.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.

rappermas
21st July 2006, 06:32 PM
Very pricey and not USB, but a Solid State Disk would be the coolest thing...
Solid State Disks are pretty much hard drives based on RAM, meaning they don't use magnetic platters to store data--they use RAM chips and are just about as fast as the memory DIMMs inside your computer. VERY FAST. But, for 32 GB, you're likely to pay around 1000 dollars, so...

Take a look at this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=usb+hard+drive&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

If you are going to get a hard drive that you mentioned, you will need to spend at least 160 per drive.

scotta3234
21st July 2006, 06:35 PM
What i did is simply went to the store and picked up a cheap oem drive with the size i wanted and then bought an external usb/firewire drive enclosure for it for about $150 (hard drive + enclosure). Formatted the drive to FAT32 so i could read/write on windows and linux. Although, if you format it via windows there is a 32 gig limitation so you will have to find some 3rd party partitioning software (which isn't that hard) to format the entire drive. You could also format as ext3 and get a plugin on your windows machine to be able to handle that filesystem. so you have a few options.

As for scheduling backups, I believe I saw a post on this forum somewhere about a utility or script or something to do exactly what you describe. I'll try and hunt around for it.

rappermas
21st July 2006, 06:42 PM
Linux can format hard drives as well...

Qtparted
Gparted
fdisk