PDA

View Full Version : Yum Update

thammerlund
21st July 2006, 08:28 AM
Does anyone know if "yum update file" is like a make clean command? I read the manual, and it says it updates software to the latest version, but what about software that was manually installed?

Also, is there some way to know where the programs are being installed to?

Thank you,
Tom

SlowJet
21st July 2006, 09:36 AM
The yum.conf file contains a parm that by default says to look for the newset package for install and update. The yum program controls the different staps in the identifing, header dep process, and downloading of the packages into a cache, but the packages are RPMs just like the rpm command.
Manully installed? It's a rpm or it's a tarball or it's a special installer or it's from a compile.
tarballs don't always put things in the correct place and get blocked by SELinux labeling.
Special installers? Not that many and they usually don't work in other than user space.
Compiled stuff, several ways to do that but the standard way would create an rpm and that would be installed.

SJ

thammerlund
21st July 2006, 10:26 AM
Is there a recommended book or something where I can find where programs should go?

Linux_Weary
21st July 2006, 10:31 AM
I think what SlowJet is saying is that a redhat package manager file (.rpm) knows where to install itself. The only problem you may have is with tarballs, but tarballs should only be used for programs that you cannot find an rpm for. In fedora rpms are always the best option. Always try to use yum or else download .rpms for all redhat distros.

markkuk
21st July 2006, 10:35 AM
File locations are spcified by the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html).

thammerlund
21st July 2006, 10:53 AM
Thank you everyone for your help.

The problem I've been having is that yum (which is what I'm going to be using) simply says the program is installed. I'm new to Linux so I don't know where all the programs are supposed to go.

But thank you for the link, I'll check it out.