PDA

View Full Version : XINE- choppy playback, no sound

shadow460
21st July 2006, 07:25 AM
I am getting some performance issues with Xine when I play DVD's. I looked up how to enable DMA on the DVD drive, and did that.
I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. If it's hardware, I'll probably find out when windoze 98 goes onto the other hard drive.
Anyway, the best way I can describe the choppiness of the video is that it looks like I'm trying to run PowerDVD with DirectX 5. It leaves lines on the viewing area when there's motion.
There's also no sound. There was an error about this, but it disappeared when I got the thing to read DVD's. I think it said somthing about no sound driver or codec.

As for hardware--it's on a Sempron 2200+ with 256 of RAM, a SiS 741 chipset, Radeon 7000 PCI (haven't tried it on the 741's VGA output) and the drive is a Hitachi of some kind--I didn't write down the model number. The sound is one of those Realtek onboard things.

XMMS works perfect, so I know that I can get sound out of the computer.

Seve
21st July 2006, 07:46 AM
Hello:
Have a look here to set up your xine and codecs et al:http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html
Seve

shadow460
22nd July 2006, 07:04 AM
I installed the plugins last night, and they dind't change the situation.

The_Jester
22nd July 2006, 10:51 PM
Install VLC and see if that gives you any joy. The decompression isn't as good, but it'll help you determine wheather its hardware or software.

shadow460
22nd July 2006, 11:36 PM
I think it is software. 98SE and PowerDVD play DVD's just fine. I just added the DVD drive and the Radeon 7000, so I wasn't sure if I had a bad combination or not.

I think the solution lies in updating xorg to the latest version, so that I can use the Xv plugin instead of Xshm. Xshm ran the sound, but it produced a lot of bad frames.

shadow460
24th July 2006, 06:45 AM
Update to this--problem solved. "remove xine" was the solution, and I installed VLC.
I have not removed xine yet--I'm not entirely sure how to un install programs under FC5 yet.

I tested VLC with a couple of DVD's actually. I used Jo Dee Messina's The Video Collection at first and I still got lines and pixxelizations, but they're not nearly as noticeable as what xine was producing. I didn't really pay much attention to it with PowerDVD--I'll have to go back and try that out once I get Grub configured to boot Windows 98 on command.
The second DVD was Final Destination 2. I watched the crash scene all the way through, and it played without a flaw.
This might be a hardware issue after all. I was informed rather quickly that the Radeon 7000 PCI I'm using is quite a bit weaker than the two Voodoo 5 5500's I run in the other machines. I believe that, and it could be leading to some visual defects on clips where the action is fast.

I might have to keep Xine around for other video clips--I'm not sure yet if it will play mpg and WMV files, but we will find out.

More questions are coming later about FC5, so put your thinking caps on.

shadow460
15th January 2007, 03:09 AM
more questions here...does anyone know how to remove the choppiness on Video LAN client?

Also, why won't VLC play anything other than DVDs? It crashes to the desktop when I try to play audio files or wma files.

I have another computer with FC5 and video LAN client on it. I installed the operating system and VLC the exact same way on both machines, VLC works right on one, and doesn't work right on the other. Why?

Last question, xine actually played a DVD tonight, which amazed me. I have no clue how I got it started, but once I did, it went completely out of control. When it decided to play, it played far better than VLC does. But how do I control xine?