PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect disk usage size reported

jdogzilla
21st July 2006, 07:03 AM
Hello, I have FC5 which I dual boot with WinXP. I have a couple of FAT32 partitions on my HDD. For one of the partitions, FC5 reports incorrectly on the usage size.

The partition is 37.2GB in size. I selected all the folders in the root directory of the folder and selected properties to get the size of the folders (including files). That total is 17.8GB. That means there is almost 9+GB remaining. However, FC5 reports that only 559.2GB is remaining.

Even the command df -k reports the same incorrect disk usage.

On another partition, the size is reported correctly.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

wneumann
21st July 2006, 02:19 PM
I don't understand your arithmetic: you say 17GB used of a 37GB drive leaves 9GB and Fedora reports several hundred GB remaining and that is less than 9?

Anyway, "Properties" probably just adds up the sizes of the files it sees which would underestimate since FAT32 assigns space in blocks (probably 32K if you didn't choose larger blocks for speed) so the actual space used by a file will be more than the file size (a lot more if you have lots of small files). In addition, if you don't have permission to read some of the files they are probably not counted by "Properties". I would trust df to give the right usage. If chkdisk still exists in XP (it's a long time since I've used it) that would be a way to get accurate usage from within windows to see if fedora is really mistaken.

jdogzilla
21st July 2006, 09:33 PM
Oops ... my bad. Here are the numbers ...

Total partition space = 37GB
Disk space used by files = 17.8GB
=> Remaining disk space = approx 20GB

Remaining disk space reported by Properties / df = 559MB (not GB here)

I even booted into windows and cleaned up that partition.

Any suggestions?

this213
21st July 2006, 11:55 PM
Try "df -hT" just to make sure you're seeing what you think you're seeing.

Check the drive with "fdisk -l /dev/DEVICE"