PDA

View Full Version : New to Fedora 5... 3 Questions

dman777
21st July 2006, 04:19 AM
I just ordered through the mail Fedora 5 Red Hat and I am so excited to try it. As a new user I have a few questions I would really be happy if I could get some help on:

1). I want to do everything(includeing installation) by command prompt and no utilities to help me rather than GUI. I bought this book called The Linux Bible and it is really good but it focuses more on the GUI than the command prompt details. Is there a book that deals mostly with command prompts(for instance I would like to get all the commands for SFDISK)?

2). I use my computer for mostly music. I have 2 HD's drives both full of music(each drive is 350 gigs). When I get the Fedora 5 I will be adding it to my computer with Windows XP useing a dual boot. What file system is best that can be shared by Windows XP and Linux? I was going to use Vfat but it pretty outdated and besides it size limitations I would like to use a file system more current.

3). I have dual core Opteron 2.0 gig with an Asus A8n SLI premium that has Nvidia Nforce 4 chips set. Are there drivers available for the Nforce 4 chipset? And how well the dual core w/ Fedora 5?

scotta3234
21st July 2006, 05:45 AM
I'd like to say im sorry nobody has answered your post just yet.
1. you should look around the forums for a text based installation, although i don't belive it's really that much different. Also, each linux distro is going to vary a little bit in terms of how stuff is done, so consider that. I have pretty much stuck with fedora so i know that many ins and outs of this particular distro. Some of the knowledge i can take with me when i deal with other distros, and other things i can't.

2. The best thing i can tell you is that FAT32 is plug and play and just works read and write on both platforms. Of course there are size restrictions when you deal with formatting fat32 in windows but there are ways around this restriction by using 3rd party partitioning tools. search around on the forum here... they're there somewhere i know because i once wondered how to do this. You could however format your drive as ext3 and get a plugin for your windows machine to get it to recognize this partition. stay away from NTSF as writing to NTSF in linux is still very experimental, but of course you wanna be able to read and write on both platforms.

3. I have an Nforce 4 chipset on my other machine with FC5 installed without any problems. Not too sure about dual core but it shouldn't be a problem as far as i know. What i can tell you is that fedora 64 bit can be a little bit trickier for setting up certain things. Some say you might as well just go with 32 bit install on 64 to save headache, others will say go with performance. It's whatever you feel comfortable with.

sultanoswing
21st July 2006, 12:15 PM
Not sure about a book - but if it's CLI you want, and you feel the need to build everything from source and REALLY get to know how linux works, then have you considered Gentoo Linux? (http://www.gentoo.org/)

The Gentoo handbook (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml) is a pretty good guide to commands needed to get a linux OS running from scratch, and isn't TOO hard, even for a newb...I got a gentoo system running (using Gnome), as my first try of linux, within a couple of days.

dman777
21st July 2006, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=sultanoswing]Not sure about a book - but if it's CLI you want, and you feel the need to build everything from source and REALLY get to know how linux works, then have you considered Gentoo Linux? (http://www.gentoo.org/)

That exactly what I want....I hope I didn't order the wrong linux. I can't do this through Red Hat Fedora?

scotta3234
21st July 2006, 06:26 PM
It's all about choosing the linux that's right for you. If you really wanna learn every in and out then yes gentoo will give you a run for the money. You know you can just download the image files and burn them to iso instead of ordering different distros of linux? That's the beautiful thing about linux. Although you may have ordered it for another reason i don't know.

rappermas
21st July 2006, 06:41 PM
To run text mode, when you pop in the installation cd (or dvd), it will boot from the disk. You can press Enter to install linux, or, if you type in text and then press enter, you will install it in a text mode. Not sure why you would want to pick the text mode over the GUI as the GUI will get the job done and is easier for first timers.

If you want to share a partition between Windows and Linux, use a FAT32 partition. They can both read it and write to it. After you install Linux, you can get some free partitioning tools such as gparted or qtparted to partition your hard drive any which way you like. Why shell out all that money for something like PartitionMagic when you don't have to? I'd backup the windows install and make sure that my backup works and then install fedora, partiition the drive, put windows back on its new partition, fix bootloading (because Windows will overwrite that), and you're good to go.

I don't know much about Nvidia cards since I'm loyal to ATI (Asymmetrical Processing and Crossfire Technology), but dual-core works well in Fedora. The OS isn't dumb, it can tell that there's more than one processor core and it will take advantage of the fact.

sultanoswing
21st July 2006, 09:04 PM
scotta3234 - couldn't agree more! I started with Gentoo, then couldn't be bothered with doing everything manually, so moved to Fedora. Have given Ubuntu a bit of a try, but it's a bit too 'dumbed down', and as far as I could tell, their package repositories are a little slow to update. Choice is sweet.

dman777, if you're gonna give gentoo a whirl, you'd better sharpen up, starting with your BBCode ability! :p

rajat_ghosh
29th July 2006, 07:31 AM
I have a Fedora Core 5 installation with bual boot with Win Xp. My problem is , my grub bootloader always tekes me to the command prompt where I can login as root but as of being new to linux , I do not know how to configure kernel , so that I can boot in graphical mode with user login screen and login to a KDE or Gnome desktop. I have no other user defined and I would like to know , how to add user from a root user command prompt.

Thanking you in advance.

iamroot
29th July 2006, 09:46 AM
To dman777: I would advise that you stick with Fedora until you have enough experience to take on a distro like Gentoo. I have friends who screw up pretty bad when they tried out distros like Gentoo.

drunkahol
29th July 2006, 10:09 AM
Most of the books out there will show you the nice way of doing things. i.e. via GUI interfaces 'cos that's what Joe Public seems to like.

I'm a command line man myself - I've not found anything that you can't do via command line in Fedora, or any other distro I've tried for that matter.

With Gentoo, you don't so much get to see how the "REAL" linux works. Rather you get to see how the Gentoo team see it as working. Same with Debian, SUSE and Fedora. Each distro is a different groups take on putting things together.

Unix Power Tools used to be a great book. Don't know if there's a Linux version. It was ALL about command line utilities and how to leverage most power out of them.

Check the O'Reilly bookshelves - they've got some great books. When it comes to getting most power out of command line, you tend to have to buy a book for each specific part. i.e. a book for bash, one for awk, one for Perl, one for sendmail and so on.

You haven't got the wrong Linux - you've just got a certain flavour of Linux. It will do everything you want to do. If you're THAT keen on learning command line, then make sure you only ever use runlevel 3. That's the runlevel in Fedora that has NO GUI interfaces running. Sure makes you quick with a keyboard!

Cheers

Duncan

Suredeath
29th July 2006, 10:44 AM
If you really are keen on taking the nitty-gritty approach Gentoo may indeed be well worth taking a look at. It may however require a lot of reading, searching, manual config, and PATIENCE (building KDE for instance according to their handbook can take up to 20 hrs to build.)
Personally I am glad I started with an 'easy' Linux like Fedora, and before that SuSE, and slowly moved on. In fact, a lot of the config files in the fedora /etc dir proved quite a big help in setting up/modifying my Gentoo equivalents.

Choosing Text setup over GUI imho has nothing to do with CLI manual labour vs Point and click GUI. The FC text mode installer basically works the same as the GUI, just without neat gfx. It's more what you do once you have set up the box. Will or won't you install Gnome or KDE, do you manage your box completely using CL-tools, or go for the GUI approach. I do have KDE installed, and like it, yet I rarely touch the GUI utilities. Somehow I too often run into their limitations. That said I ain't too keen on the (ncurses-based) interactive utils either. I prefer the CLI. (I admit, I make an exception for kernel configuration, w/o menuconfig it's a challenge, at least)

Books ? We don't need no steenkin' books. Treeware is ancient! There are TONS of references, tutorials, HOWTO's, younameit on Bash & the Linux CLI. And the often underestimated MAN pages and locally installed docs.

If you really want to go under the hood at some point, consider LinuxFromScratch. Name says it all. Or start writing a useful hardware driver or pick up the task of fixing bugs in existing CLI packages, or adding useful functionality.

Keywords of things broadening your insight/ working in Linux:
Master the use of commands like: find, grep, sed, awk (and many many more)
(re)Configure and build a working custom kernel.
Get familiar with: bash scripting, regular expressions, make, gcc/gpp & C/C++, Python, Perl, Tcl/Tck, GTK, Qt, CVS

Subscribe to newsgroups and pick a couple of online mags, read up on developments. And above all, enjoy and amaze yourself about all the nifty, fun and often completely useless things people pull off with Linux... Like (ab)using modern laptops' accelerometer (intended to protect against HD damage upon impact) as a sensitory input device: slam the pc three times to start your favourite app or mp3, hehe. Useless, silly, but very inspiring.

HAVE FUN, Keep us posted on your findings/progress!

bryancole
29th July 2006, 11:44 AM
The default Linux command line shell is "bash" (Bourne Again SHell). Most linux or Fedora Core text books will contain at least an introduction to bash / shell script. Once you've seen a basic intro, I recommend the O'Reilly "Linux - In A Nutshell" book. This is a very complete reference to all the standard commands available on a linux system, plus Bash syntax and some other common shells (there's other CLI shells as well as Bash). Note, this books doesn't provide any more information than is available from you system man-pages, but having it all at your finger-tips in printed form is very convenient.

Don't feel obliged to *all* linux commands in one go! You can get by with just a little knowledge to start off, and pick up new stuff as you go. Also, the GUI tools do have their place; many tasks are easier with the tools FC5 provides, just as much as some other tasks are indeed easier with the CLI (once you know the commands...). For this reason, I think Fedora makes a more balanced distribution for a new linux user than something like Gentoo, a distro which can quickly lead to frustration with allthe arcane work required to get it going.

bryancole
29th July 2006, 11:51 AM
BTW, I recommend trying VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/) (it's now free) and installing FC5 as a virtual machine on your windows box, as an alternative to dual booting. The advantages are you don't need to reboot to switch between environments. I run WindowsXP on a virtual machine on my FC5 box; the performance is excellent and I can "resume" a suspended windows machine in about 5 seconds (compared to >30 for a reboot) and once it's running switching between them is effectively instant. Files are easily shared between the systems using Windows networking (samba, on linux). Also, virtual machines are easily created or deleted, with no risk to your Windows system.

harisund
1st August 2006, 07:34 PM
I am a big command line guy myself, and come from a Debian background (and have used Ubuntu extensively).

As far as the GUI goes, there is practically no differences between OS. Gnome is Gnome, XFCE is XFCE both on Ubuntu and FC5 or Gentoo.

However, if you think you are a 'command line' man of one distro, be prepared for the shock of your life when switching to the 'commmand line' of another distro.

I don't understand why the distro's can't just get along nicely.

For example, Gentoo doesn't use the SysV configuration of init files. (If you don't know what I am talking about, don't bother). On both Debian and Fedora, I could do /etc/init.d/service_name {start|stop|restart} and be happy. I doubt if that would work on Gentoo.

again, package management on each using the command line is different. If you are using Gnome, you will probably find a nice little "Add/Remove programs" section that does everything for you. Not so using the command line.

If you are a sys-admin, things get bad. What is /etc/network/interfaces in Debian is probably something like /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 and beyond. Everything is just plain different.

You are warned :)

dhh
13th August 2006, 12:30 AM
re: "...things get bad. What is /etc/network/interfaces in Debian is probably something like /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 and beyond. Everything is just plain different."

You have come close to nailing it on the head for me, I was browsing this forum for a similar answer (what is recommended reference book for Fedora 5.0) when I came to this topic and this particular response.

I am a relative newby to Linux (I've poked around with Unix and QNX in years gone bye) and so installed Fedora 5.0 on an old PC. I'm finding that the reference books I pick up at local library, although quite thorough ("Running Linux, Oreilly") they aren't applicable to a specific distribution and so when trying to do things the "hard way" via the CLI (the ony way to learn what is happeing under the hood) I find myself spinning a lot of wheels just trying to correlate what I find in the reference book with the files structure of Fedora 5.0. It is frustrating for somebody who want to just jump into a specific topic.

Sooooo....Can anyone make a recomendation for a Fedora 5.0 specific reference book? I would rather not shell out $40-50 a piece only to find out it is lame. Specifically, I'm currently wanting all the details for TCP/IP setup (networking, SAMBA, et.al.). The books I've scanned in the book store tend to lean very heavily on how to simply use a GUI tool to do the work...which teaches a person nothing. Online resources are OK, but they limit a person to being online at the time (and it is hard to fart around with networking when the reference you are using requires you to be connected....know what I mean?).