PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance mode?

Jongi
21st July 2006, 12:06 AM
Is it mainetance mode where something has gone wrong and it will ask you to log in as root or press Ctrl-D to reboot?

If so, why does it only allow read-only? There I am knowing what the problem is yet I have to find the FC5 CD, reboot with the FC5 disk, reboot and then get the system running. When it asked me to enter root password I could have fixed the problem then.

jhetrick62
21st July 2006, 02:04 AM
I don't understand the question. If you are in a runlevel 3 (command line) mode, you should be able to use "su <enter>" and enter root password to become root.

If you are truly in a read-only mode while being root user, then the object is on a drive that was mounted "read only" and it must be re mounted for RW access.

Jeff

Jongi
21st July 2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah that is a bit incoherent:

1. I deleted a partition which moved my /home partition. I failed to update fstab. When I rebooted it through me into maintenance mode (had to login as root) - at this point it tells you to reboot press Ctrl-D.

So I login as root. Do a vi /etc/fstab and change the /home to point to the correct partition. When I try to save it tells me that the system booted in read-only mode. How do I change the maintenanve mode to load in a mode where I can write to the file system?

Jman
22nd July 2006, 12:26 AM
Booting from the Fedora CD? That's rescue mode. Have you changed to your system by doing
chroot /mnt/sysimage

Jongi
22nd July 2006, 12:14 PM
I know I can boot from the FC DVD and use: linux rescue.

I want to know whether I can make the system read-write when it puts me into maintenance mode.

jhetrick62
22nd July 2006, 03:29 PM
Either do as Jman suggests which should work, or boot the machine with a Knoppix cd and mount the drive with rw permissions by selecting it from the menu and make the changes that way. Some folks find that easier than doing the chroot thing as they get confused and end up back in the operating structure of the resuce system rather than their system image.

Jeff

Jongi
22nd July 2006, 05:14 PM
I am well aware of other options. My question is whether it is possible to have the system mounted as read-write in maintenance mode?

jhetrick62
24th July 2006, 01:57 PM
Yes. Follow Jman's instructions.

4z0smq20kk
28th October 2007, 05:29 PM
This thread is 15 months old, but for the benefit of anyone using google to figure out how remount a filesystem read-write when in maintenance mode, the answer is as follows:

mount -n -o remount,rw /
jhetrick62 and jman: that is the answer to jongi's question, it's a shame you ignored it and pushed the rescue CD thing. :(

jhetrick62
29th October 2007, 01:10 AM
It was not an issue of ignoring this question, but being unfamiliar with his situation! I have never run across this "maintenance mode" and obviously I haven't borked any of my systems to the point that the machine put me in this mode. As you can see by Jman's posting numbers, he must not have either! He has over 7,000 posts so he is probably better read than I am.

We appreciate your insight and the understanding that you brought to this thread. It's a shame it took 15 mos for someone who understood the question to answer it but it happens.

Jeff

4z0smq20kk
29th October 2007, 03:57 AM
Hi Jeff,

Good point. I had never run into "maintenance mode" either until yesterday, which lead me to this thread. I had come across the answer elsewhere, so I thought I'd post it here for the benefit of anyone else in my (or Jongi's) situation.

That was my first post here, so I've got a long way to go to catch up to you or JMan! :)

Cheers,
Zach