PDA

View Full Version : No sound from Flash plugin

daihard
20th July 2006, 07:53 AM
I have Flash plugin installed on FC5. For some reason, sites like YouTube.com do not always produce any sound when I play a video there. The pattern seems totally random. It sometimes work, it often doesn't. When it doesn't work, restarting Firefox sometimes fixes the problem, but it often doesn't. What could be the reason? The same plugin works perfectly fine with Firefox on FC4.

The sound card is properly detected. The sound test with system-config-soundcard always works, so does MP3 playback using software like JuK and Kaffeine. It's just the combination of Firefox and Flash plugin on FC5. Any help would be appreciated.

Wayne
20th July 2006, 07:57 AM
I have Flash plugin installed on FC5. For some reason, sites like YouTube.com do not always produce any sound when I play a video there. The pattern seems totally random. It sometimes work, it often doesn't. When it doesn't work, restarting Firefox sometimes fixes the problem, but it often doesn't. What could be the reason? The same plugin works perfectly fine with Firefox on FC4.

The sound card is properly detected. The sound test with system-config-soundcard always works, so does MP3 playback using software like JuK and Kaffeine. It's just the combination of Firefox and Flash plugin on FC5. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have 'ESD' (Enable software sound mixing) enabled in your 'Sound' config? This is for Gnome but there must ne a similar setting for KDE.

Wayne

December
21st July 2006, 08:36 AM
Many sites are now using Flash 8/9, but Linux only has a Flash 7 player, so as a result the audio often doesn't work. The next version of the flash player for linux has been re-written using ALSA, and apparently that fixes the sound-sync problems, as well as other sound related issues.

It might not fix this one though, as it sounds like your problem is related to an out of date flash player, about which you can't do anything at the moment.

daihard
22nd July 2006, 05:39 AM
It might not fix this one though, as it sounds like your problem is related to an out of date flash player, about which you can't do anything at the moment.
Actually, I don't think it's the problem with the version of Flash plugin. I realize that there's no Flash 8 for Linux (yet), but sites that use Flash 8 are usually not even viewable on Linux. Metacafe (www.metacafe.com) is a good example. Besides, I don't have this problem using Firefox 1.0.8 and FC4.

Thanks for the reply, though.

Donkyhotay
8th September 2006, 07:25 PM
I had a similar issue in which I would get sound from everything except the flash plugin which would work intermittently. I had already had ESD checkmarked but for some reason it must have still been conflicting with the system sounds because the problem persisted until I turned off the system sounds in gnome. If you have system sounds turned on it might be a good idea to disable them and see if that works.

karry66
22nd September 2006, 07:56 AM
this solution worked for me for having no sound in flash running in firefox
System->Preferences->Sound->enable 'software and sound mixing'

robatino
22nd September 2006, 01:55 PM
I have the same problem on a box with integrated video. I work around it by going into /tmp, finding the plugtmp-? directory containing the cached .flv file, and playing it on the command line with MPlayer.

BoyWonder410
4th October 2006, 06:52 AM
enable software and sound mixing worked for me. thanks.