PDA

View Full Version : Need help with disk injury

futureguy
19th July 2006, 09:52 PM
Well I was gone for awhile and my computer got a little flummoxed at my time away.

When I boot up FC4 it does a disk scan .. 10%.. 30%... 60%...81% and then gives me this error message:

"Checking filesystems
/: Unexpected Inconsistency; Run fsck manually

*** An error occured during the file system check
*** Dropping you to a shell, the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to Continue)

"

Ok so this is not such a big deal, just enter the root password and run fsck.

Hoooooooooowever, the problem is, 2 days after I set a new root password, I ended up having to go away unexpectedly for about 4 months and I caaaaan't remember my root password now :(

Is there some way to fix this machine without knowing my root password, like with a rescue image or kernel argument or startup command, and then use some other method once I can log in as my usage username to find the root password? I don't want to have to reinstall FC4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your friend,
Abe

icydog
19th July 2006, 10:05 PM
In the GRUB boot menu, push 'a' for append, and it will give you a command line sort of thing. Type a space and a 1 after the "kernel..." line so that it looks something like this: "kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2145_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet 1"

Then you should get to a command prompt, just type passwd.

futureguy
20th July 2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks alot I will try that.

elgieb1
21st July 2006, 02:59 AM
Ive been FC5 on a mounted disk via parallel workstation for testing, I was updating the all software installed via yumex, during that time there was a power shutdown, got my ups but still was not able to save the fc5 updating. After the power failure was restarting my fc5, all i get is a shell i can enter the username and password, but i want to recover the previous setup i.e. the xwindows and continue on my update, how can i do this? Rescuing my previous installation, since i do not want to go again in re installing fc5 from CD.