PDA

View Full Version : General Questions

miller0521
18th July 2006, 07:26 PM
I am wondering how up to date Fedora stays. Like when a new version of Gnome or KDE come out, how long before I can expect to update to it? Or would it not be updated untill a new version of Fedora is out, say Fedora 6? Also, why is there so many CD's? Are there no repo's online for Fedora?

ccrvic
18th July 2006, 07:28 PM
I am wondering how up to date Fedora stays.

It's hard to be quantitative, but Fedora is fairly close to the development edge. Too close for my taste, at times.

Like when a new version of Gnome or KDE come out, how long before I can expect to update to it? Or would it not be updated untill a new version of Fedora is out, say Fedora 6?

It gets updated; you don't have to wait for the next distro release.

Also, why is there so many CD's? Are there no repo's online for Fedora?

There are repos online - but some of us like to be able to install without an Internet connection. The full CD set allows you to do just that.

Vic.

RedFedora
18th July 2006, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately, I've not been able to perform an install (even minimal) without at
least two of the CDs.

gtr225
18th July 2006, 08:06 PM
For the most up-to-date KDE packages you can use the KDE Packaging Project @ http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

ccrvic
18th July 2006, 08:08 PM
For the most up-to-date KDE packages you can use the KDE Packaging Project @ http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

I got in all sorts of trouble using that... :-(

Vic.

gtr225
18th July 2006, 08:21 PM
Sorry, nevermind then.

Firewing1
18th July 2006, 08:41 PM
Yup, Fedora's bleeding edge so it's only usually a few days before the new stuff comes out, and maybe a few more for testing. Gnome 2.14 was included only a week after it came out!
Firewing1

miller0521
18th July 2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the answers, I have Fedora installed, and it is now using the Package Updater, but that does seem to be very slow. Is there another program I should be using for package management? Or is this the best one for this particular distro? I know with Mepis I used one called Synaptic, or perhaps its just that rpm is slower than the debian based? Not sure, it seems to be running KDE smoothly though. Just not so sure it shoudl take this long to update packages.

gtr225
18th July 2006, 10:19 PM
I use yum which is a command based program you can use in the shell. As root just run
# yum update

Firewing1
18th July 2006, 11:46 PM
su -
yum install yumex
will get YumEx installed which has mirror detection making it considerably faster. If you're feeling risky, update to the development yum 2.9.x which has HUGE speed increases, but things might not work so well as it's development. For me, at least, it's been rock-solid so far... I'd give it a try:

yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=development --enablerepo=extras-development update yum yumex
Also note, though, that your first ever yum run or your first ever run of 'Software Updater' - Even with the new development speed-ups - WILL be extremely slow as it's paring all the metadata from scratch. Runs following the first should be faster.
Firewing1

thewiz103
19th July 2006, 12:11 AM
:mad:
I cannot update, upgrade , install ir get yum to work...
It either temporarly acnnot resolve name-or time out with no mors mirrors or Errno256. Using soft ware updater i get--Component: Software Updater
Summary: TBb67341a4 tsflags.py:24:init_hook:AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'add_option'....... What is wrong with fc5?? i was happy with fc4 but this one acts up and i am lost..cannot get it to update any thing.
please some one help me please.. i want to use fc5 but it won't work...
charlie :confused:

Firewing1
19th July 2006, 12:52 AM
What happens when you run:
su -
yum update
Firewing1

miller0521
19th July 2006, 01:13 AM
Well I just wasted my entire evening. It took yumex about 3 hours to upgrade Fedora, and then on reboot, it can't load a few files and I never even see the bootsplash screen, I get a console prompt and if i type a username it does nothing, just redisplays the prompt again.

No clue what to do from here other than go with another distro. Thats such a shame really. Spent all evening updating

gtr225
19th July 2006, 01:20 AM
This was a fresh install of Fedora Core 5?

Firewing1
19th July 2006, 01:21 AM
I think there's been an error somewhere, I've never heard of this happening before. I'd try re-installing from scratch, it should help. If it happens again, then maybe just incase you might want to check your RAM for errors to make sure there's not faulty - Updates shouldn't take that long, and it shouldn't render your system unbootable...
Firewing1

miller0521
19th July 2006, 01:23 AM
Yes, I did a fresh install of FC5, I then installed yumex because I heard it was faster with the mirror checking. After the upgrade, I reboot, select the only option for Fedora there was in Grub ( I thought there would be more than one option in Grub since it installed a new kernel version ) and then nothing happens.

miller0521
19th July 2006, 01:42 AM
There is nothing wrong with my RAM, do I really need to try to reinstall this whole thing? It takes forever to do that. Is there any known issues with any of the updates Imight have grabbed? Should I try again on FC6 ?

gtr225
19th July 2006, 03:39 AM
I agree, reinstall and run a yum update. I would recommend using yum and not yumex cause it's a little slow.

Firewing1
19th July 2006, 05:18 AM
There is nothing wrong with my RAM, do I really need to try to reinstall this whole thing? It takes forever to do that. Is there any known issues with any of the updates Imight have grabbed? Should I try again on FC6 ?
I think you should :(
If it still doesn't work, then yes try again in FC6.
Firewing1

miller0521
19th July 2006, 03:32 PM
Ok this time I did yum upgrade from the console as root. At one point it was doing some stuff in the /sbin/ directory, I think right after it had 'updated' selinux which it said was update 300 something of 655, anyways, it froze up, I rebooted, was able to select the newest kernel on Grub, I get back in and type yum update as root again, this time it updates only 12 packages, then says everything is up to date. I am just wondering if this is correct, it seemed like it was saying there was alot left to update after it froze up. Any ideas of something I should do? Or just trust that it works now?

Firewing1
20th July 2006, 01:26 AM
I would just trust that it works. Just incase, can you do this:

rpm -qa > ~/rpms.txt
And now simply upload the rpm.txt file found in your home as an attachment here, I'll examine it to make sure your RPM database is OK :)
Firewing1

miller0521
21st July 2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I'll just try FC6 once its released. This version just installs way to many applications that I dont ever use. I like a distro that does a minimal install, then lets me just add things as I need them, yet supports things out of the box such as flash etc. Fedora feels great under Gnome... but I'm a KDE user and it just doesn't seem as snappy. But for a Gnome user, Fedora is hands down the best.

I'll give it a shot again with KDE in FC6

Thanks for the help!

Firewing1
21st July 2006, 03:34 PM
No problem - Just so you know, Fedora installs all those application because it indirectly does it for you - During the install, you'll find a step about packages - Select 'Customize Now' rather that the default 'Proceed', which installs those extra ones. Then, you can choose on-the-spot what Fedora installs or not for you.
Firewing1

miller0521
22nd July 2006, 09:41 PM
Ok Firewing1, I tried Suse today.... it is way to hard to update anything in that distro.. it seems to run KDE just fine.. but to update to 3.5.3 version of KDE has taken all day long. Let me ask you this about Fedora. How can I find out how to do a minimal install , I would like both DE's, Gnome and KDE, cause I like to switch back and forth.. however I dont need all the programs.. I don't do anything really on it other than use Kdevelop and a terminal window.. is there any way to know what I have to install? Or does dependencies take care of that for me?

Firewing1
23rd July 2006, 12:20 AM
Really, the best way is to do a base install and then use the CLI to grab the latest and greatest - That way you don't waste time during the installation installing packages that you re-install right away because there's updates out. Here's what I do:
- Customize your packages during the install process
- Untick all but 'base' (Hit Optional Packages... to further customize this)
- The install should take no longer that 30 - 45 minutes, on mine I average 20 - 25 with this minimal install
- When you boot up, don't worry about the scary CLI. Login as root, and type:

rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release5.rpm
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*
yum update -y
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment" "KDE Desktop Environment" "Printing Support" "Administration Tools"
yum install xorg-x11-server-Xorg gdm
reboot
re-login
startx
Now you can use the GUI to setup the rest. To keep the default runlevel at 5, aka GUI, edit /etc/inittaband change the initdefault from 3 to 5.
Firewing1

miller0521
23rd July 2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks, thats what I'll do next time I get a chance. Can I ask how many of the CD's I need in order to do this minimal install?

RahulSundaram
23rd July 2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks, thats what I'll do next time I get a chance. Can I ask how many of the CD's I need in order to do this minimal install?

Usually just the first CD. In FC5, We had a minor bug, so you need the second CD even though the Anaconda doesnt actually install packages from that second CD.

miller0521
24th July 2006, 01:36 PM
Ok, the install seems much better that way, much less junk that I doubt I'll ever use. What is the livna repo by the way? And hsould there be any others that I use? Or just that one with the three primary ones?

Firewing1
24th July 2006, 03:32 PM
The Livna repo is a add-on to Fedora Extras - It provides the extra propriety plugins Fedora doesn't include, such as accellerated nVidia / ATi drivers, MP3 playback codecs, etc. It's very useful and I highly recommend installing it:
su -
rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release5.rpm
Simple as that :) Now just install your programs with:

yum install name
My favourites are all thel gstreamer ones, as they allow mp3 playback, k3b-extras-nonfree (MP3 plugin for the k3b audio and video CD/DVD burner), libdvdcss and totem-xine, which together make playing DVDs a breeze.
Firewing1

miller0521
24th July 2006, 05:26 PM
What plugins do I want in order to watch windows media files that are embedded into the browser?

Firewing1
24th July 2006, 10:35 PM
You'll want mplayer-plugin:

yum install mplayer mplayer-plugin
Firewing1

miller0521
30th July 2006, 02:55 PM
Does Fedora use the kde split packages? I am still not sure why I have three text editors installed just to have KDE :) Its not that big of a deal.. just seems like alot of wasted space

RahulSundaram
31st July 2006, 03:54 PM
Does Fedora use the kde split packages? I am still not sure why I have three text editors installed just to have KDE :) Its not that big of a deal.. just seems like alot of wasted space

The package spec changes to enabled this is being reviewed discussed. There is a tradeoff between complexity and redundancy in the package specs and user ability to install fine grained packages. Currently Fedora includes it just the way upstream(kde.org) does it.