PDA

View Full Version : Minimal system specs for Apache.

InfRecursion
18th July 2006, 04:01 PM
Is it really necessary for me to run LAMP on a high end machine (3Ghz,1GBram) or would it would it operate just as smoothly on a low end machine? I suppose my question could be better worded as: What are the lowest system specs I can run LAMP on without taking a performance hit?

My reasoning is that I have several older machines collecting dust and I would like to dedicate one of these boxes for a web server and free up my main boxes.

pparks1
18th July 2006, 04:14 PM
It's really going to depend upon the amount of traffic that you have incoming and the size of the database. But you certainly don't need a 3ghz machine with 1GB of ram for most LAMP implementations. But for typical home use stuff, a 300 or 450 with 128-256MB of RAM would likely do the trick just fine. And I'm sure that you could run it on even lower end stuff if you needed to.

InfRecursion
18th July 2006, 04:25 PM
Its not really much of a high-traffic site... just a personal site, at most 20-40 hits a day. Currently there are 8 instances of httpd, not much concurrent access. So I should be able to switch over to a 366Mhz, 128mb without the user noticing a difference?

Jman
19th July 2006, 02:59 AM
You don't need much for static content. Databases and dynamic content take a bit more. For a while my old RHL 7.3 box was puttering along at 83 Mhz and not quite 64 MB RAM.

Any machine that can install Fedora can certainly handle a low traffic personal site.

Just try it.